Stand window height ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Stand window height ?

Postby peewee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:13 am

I am building a 4x6 box stand so I can take both my kids at the same time. I'm really trying to get my son something comfortable as he is fixing to be 8 and is small for his size. My daughter is experienced enough now that she probably could adjust to shoot from most window heights. What height have yall had success with for kids. I've read anywhere from 33" to 42".
Peewee
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Stand window height ?

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:16 am

Figure out what chairs you will using first and build according to that.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
slayem
Veteran

Postby slayem » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:21 pm

I'd make it 4x8 but not sure on window height! I have a 4x4 that I hunted with my wife a couple times and wished every minute of it that it was twice as big!
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:33 am

My windows are 37'' from the floor and the actual window height is 12''. The window height is perfect for sandbags, etc... If you have office type chairs that let up and down, this is the perfect height. If you build your windows too low, you spend the the entire hunt hunched over staring out the window... you leave with a back ache. I just framed up a 4x8 stand this weekend... let me know if you want pics, I can text you a couple.

Deadeye
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:29 am

My windows are 36" from the floor and I use 12" tall windows. I put a 2x10 on the window sill for a nice shooting platform.... this gets your gun off the window base. I have two 10"tall 30"x30" boxes for my kids to stand on help them shoot. The last I built was 8'x8'. It allows two folks(my two kids) to sit comfortable side by side in office chairs and there is still room for me to sit behind them to assist in a office chair. Since lumber comes in 8' lengths, it does cost very much extra to have plenty of room.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:44 am

Peewee
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 am

Hey Peewee, I'll send some pics this evening... I haven't put up the plywood siding yet, I pre cut that and assemble after I've loaded the stand on the trailer. It's too heavy to load by yourself if the stand is complete.. or I can't. Anyway, I'll shoot you some pics.

And something to consider if you build another one... I like to use the 2x3 studs, you can get them at Lowes... they are lighter and less expensive than standard 2x4's. I use treated 2x4 for the base but the interior is 2x3's. And the elevators are the way to go for your leg base.

Dead
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm definatly buying some elavators. One thought on that. This stand I'm building has a massive platform. I made it out of treated 2 x 6 x 10' long. The stand is 6' x 4' but there is a 4 foot buffer for the porch. I am doing that to make it easy and safe for the kids to climb in. With that being said should I have the elevators at each in and some a couple internal leg post also. Or should I put the elevators under the 4' x 6' stand and put two additional post under the porch?
Peewee
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:52 am

peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Peewee

Return to “General Discussion Forum”