river legalities

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JLT
Veteran

river legalities

Postby JLT » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:59 pm

I need all the info that I can get my hands on about what is and is not navigable water on the Louisiana side of the river. I would also like to know of someone to talk to that is knowledgeable on this subject. People are trying to run us out of our favorite hole and I need to know 100% for sure that I am right before I go back. Thanks for any help......
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:47 pm

"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:57 pm

http://www.louisiana.gov/wps/portal/.cm ... 55/.s/3958

You can go here and search the LA state web page for the info you desire. You might also want to check federal law too.
River Hunter
Veteran

Postby River Hunter » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:20 pm

You aint been hunting till you been river huntin
Money
Duck South Addict

Postby Money » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:28 pm

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:56 pm

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:29 pm

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
tunica du4u
Veteran

Postby tunica du4u » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:16 pm

Don't know about La. but in Mississippi its in the state constitution:

All rivers, creeks and bayous in this state, twenty-five (25) miles in length, and having sufficient depth and width of water for thirty (30) consecutive days in the year to float a steamboat with carrying capacity of two hundred (200) bales of cotton, are navigable waters of this state and considered public highways.

Where do we find a steamship with 200 bales of cotton??? Delta Ducks back yard?8)
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:01 pm

Call my dad. He got a ticket for riding 2 dogs, and a 6 pack of beer across a flooded field on the big black. He didn't have a gun, he was just running up birds that had rafted up in the middle of a large field to get them moveing again. BOOM, ticket!

They had the big navigable water dispute. It got dismised in the end.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:56 pm

Floodwater is not public. Only water within the natural banks is public(on a public waterway, of course). When you motor out of the banks and into a flooded field, you are trespassing.

Wingman
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Postby tupe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:06 am

Ah, yes, the old debate about mean high watermark, where is the bank? and so on.

My father fought this one for years with a certain outfitter up around Eagle Lake. The long and short of it was, if you are within the mean high watermark you are within the "banks". A few of the land owners will stil try to bulldog you into leaving, but if you are certain of where you are and they do not let you alone, just call the wardens on them for hunter harrassment, if you are in the MS side, LA is a different matter. That fight was never made absolutly clear, you see LA thinks their laws superceede those of the federal govt. The feds don't agree, problem is to get it that far you have to spend a few pennies fighting local courts.

I will say this, Po Monkey is right, fought this one for a while til it got so crowded I just quit hunting those areas and ventured farther out into the middle on nowhere. Crowds draw conflict, I don't go hunting to get into a pissing match with other huters or landowners.

Tupe
tunica
Duck South Addict

Postby tunica » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:29 am

Call the local office of the Coast Guard and ask them. I'm assuming your hunting on in a old runout or something of the main channel. They will beable to tell you if its part of the river or not.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:24 am

dont ask, dont tell

the doc
JLT
Veteran

river legalities

Postby JLT » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:50 am

creek that runs out of the main channel of the river and into a 15-20 acre lake and then out into the woods from the lake. It is navigable @ 20' below flood stage. The local Louisiana warden says that he cannot make me leave. All he can do is make note that I was there and check me to make sure that I am legal. The notes he makes will be used against me if they take me to court, and he says that the landowners have been winning these battles if they can prove that they are paying taxes on the land under the water? I would like to know right or wrong the law. Is there anyone in Ms or La that even knows???? If I am wrong I will stay out, but if I am right I will fight it as long as I can afford it.........
tunica
Duck South Addict

Postby tunica » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:01 am

sounds like your on private property to Me.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”