Need some outboard advice.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bmanning3
Regular

Need some outboard advice.

Postby bmanning3 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:39 pm

I'm looking at a 1994 Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder 40. Motor is in great shape and has ridiculously low hours for its age. Have any of yall run one of these motors? If so, how did you like it? From what I've read the impeller can be an issue, but on the flip side of that other people have said that they are running the original water pump and never had an issue. I know the 1997 and up "red stripe" 3 cyl 40's are more desired, but for the price i could get this motor I have to seriously consider buying it. If anyone has any experience with the 4 cyl mercs I would greatly appreciate some info.
the tree
Veteran

Re: Need some outboard advice.

Postby the tree » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:11 am

if you run a boat is shallow water, especially with sandy bottoms, your going to have impeller problems.
miket
Veteran

Re: Need some outboard advice.

Postby miket » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:47 am

Though it evolved over the years, it is the same basic 50hp engine built in starting in the early 60's through the end of it's life as a 40hp in 1996. One of the best Mercury ever built. The impeller is a weak point. With it's short stubby blades it needs to be replaced yearly verses the newer "floppy vane" impellers that will last for years under normal use.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”