MDWFP About To Allow Deer Hunting Over Feeders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Veteran

Re: MDWFP About To Allow Deer Hunting Over Feeders

Postby 1010 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:08 am

Other states have allowed this and they havn't wiped out the deer. As for the disease argument deer eat out of the same food plots, and same acorn trees and use the same trails, complete BS IMO.
I've seen anthrax kill a lot of deer in the early 90s, feeders had nothing to do with it.
Folks have had feeders for years. People that try to manage deer will continue, folks that shoot everything will continue as well.

I can remember when cutovers were ruining deer habitat, LOL now look! LMAO
Any kid that really loves to hunt will learn on his own or from a family member anyway. Food plots have been spoiling kids for a long time.

Anybody that really wants to save hunting take a kid (any kid) shooting and hunting! Real fathers are on the short side in some houses.
JMO.
Last edited by 1010 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:09 am

Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:20 am

I am totally against it but now I can compete with my neighbors who have been doing it for years. I see it as just spending more money on hunting. What's gonna suck is when my feeder gets flooded late season and the ducks start to funnel. He he
Get in where you fit in!
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:21 am

If you're chasing big bucks you are not going to kill one over a feeder unless you're damn lucky. The young and dumb bucks and does will be the victims most of the time. Big deer are smart and you still have to actually hunt them. This won't change that. It will however like others said turn it more into a shoot than hunt for most people now. If that's how you like to "hunt" knock yourself with all the feeders you want.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:27 am

I guess I am the dissenting vote here, mainly because the hog hunting baiting laws were so messed up until just recently I've always been a proponent of baiting.

I don't wish to impose my morality on someone else in any aspect of life including hunting.

I don't necessarily think children should be brought up to learn that game is to merely be killed under any means necessary rather than learning the skills of being a hunter. But as an adult who might not otherwise have much of an opportunity to hunt regulary during the season and wants to put a deer in the freezer, if he thinks this is a good way for him to do so why should I care how he goes about harvesting an animal?

Bottom line is that I personally don't feel it's my duty to tell someone else how they have to hunt. Unless of course they're sky blasting right beside me and messing up my hunt, then I'm going to tell them exactly how I feel about what they're doing. And I probably won't be friendly about it. :lol:
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:31 am

ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:46 am

This law does not force anyone to feed corn and sit over it until a deer walks out. It legalizes a person’s right to feed corn in sight of a deer stand. I think it is good that it will allow kids to see more deer and hopefully get them interested in the sport. If they enjoy deer hunting they will naturally progress away from the feeders to kill bigger deer.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:54 am

gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:55 am

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:13 am

Cute pics ........ too bad that's not during a deer season. As soon as deer season starts, you'll never see them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:32 am

that could very well be in deer season. even in MS its only 11 days out. You think they know the difference in Sept 30 and Oct 1?
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:32 am

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:36 am

To quote Steven Rinella in referencing this issue, and other controversial topics like game fences....it is a limp dick style of hunting.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:45 am

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 am

Growing up in South Texas we hunted over feeders just about my whole life.. I have never seen a mature buck stand under a feeder and eat while I was in the stand.. Mature bucks don't get to be mature by doing stupid things... Now place a doe under that feeder during the rut and then big boy gets stupid.. In many places in South Texas you have no choice but to hunt openings like gas lines, fence lines and power lines.. The brush is just too thick to move.. Deer travel easily through the thick stuff and usually the feeders just stop them for a few minutes..

When I moved to MS in 1996 I found a hunting camp and went out to tour the place with the camp manager (who was also the head honcho at my office).. He drove me down to the place and took me through a huge set of mature hardwoods and I thought this place is so beautiful. I had never hunted where the trees were over 20 foot high.. :D :D :D Just on the other side of the trees was a big food plot and we stopped right in the middle of it and he looked at me and said "Now boy, we don't hunt over corn like they do in Texas.. This here is real hunting" I said ok, what is planted in this field.. He said "Oats" I about fell over. I said we can hunt over oats out here? He said "Yep"

First thing I did when I got back home was to call my uncle and dad and tell them.. Man you will never believe it, but we can hunt over Oats out here.. They were in shock and couldn't wait to come hunt in a place where you could actually grow something for deer to eat.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The place I hunt at now, there are not many deer sightings.. The hardwoods are in deep draws that are almost impossible to get into withing rolling down a 45 degree hill for about 50 feet.. The other spots are cutovers with a few plots in the middle.. If you kill a mature buck in a food plot, it is either early bow season or the rut. It will be the same if you hunt over food plots or feeders..

I don't care either way.. But they either need to make it 100% legal to hunt over corn, or 100% illegal..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”