Why Not a September Archery season

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Why Not a September Archery season

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:38 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:53 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 am

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:20 am

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:34 am

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:48 am

Until we have a robust and strictly enforced tagging system, I will oppose any and all increases in season length, increases in limits (including daily limits), and weapon liberalization. The State has NO CLUE what deer herd there is and what is being removed each year. NONE!
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:10 am

peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Peewee
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:07 pm

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:11 pm

DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:53 pm

i agree 1000%

I would also not mind seeing Buck, fork horn or better bow only or crossbows, for sept 15-nov 15. Then open it up to does and bucks through jan 15 any means gun or bow. 2 more weeks bow through jan. I dont care if you want to shoot a big fat doe, but give the fawn enough time not to be coyote bait. I could care less if you shoot one under a feeder, but you have to have a limit because that makes it real easy. Identifiable limits!
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:37 pm

I think we all agree we need more regulation and enforcement on bag limits and some type of tagging system but none of that will work until we have more people to enforce that. I think our wardens are stretched thin as it is.
alaska_av8r
Regular

Postby alaska_av8r » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Mississippi regs have always confused me. I lived in Georgia the first 20 yrs of my life, bow season (no crossbows unless had impairment) opened Sep 15, then Oct 15 prim weapons (none of this center fire stuff, prim my butt stuff) then gun Nov 15. Season closed for 2 wks prior to Xmas and opened Dec 26 and closed for good Jan 15. Dog hunting was allowed in southern half of state and verboten in the north. Everything just seemed to make sense, we didn't see that many fawns during bow season but our buck o doe ratio was not as badly skewed as it is here so you normally only saw one rut around thanksgiving. Don't know what GA does with their seasons now. But I do remember your odds of getting checked by game warden were pretty darn high and in my case always a pleasant experience. This is the first state where I have lived where the animosity towards wardens has been so bad. I also started turkey hunting there thanks to the generosity of the citizens of MS. The majority of the restocking efforts in GA were with MS birds. I always thought, wow if I could only hunt in MS they have so many they can give them away. Unfortunately it seems the table has turned as the last numbers I saw had GA way ahead in Turkey management. Sad to see the potential of this state not to be used properly.
alaska_av8r
Regular

Postby alaska_av8r » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Mississippi regs have always confused me. I lived in Georgia the first 20 yrs of my life, bow season (no crossbows unless had impairment) opened Sep 15, then Oct 15 prim weapons (none of this center fire stuff, prim my butt stuff) then gun Nov 15. Season closed for 2 wks prior to Xmas and opened Dec 26 and closed for good Jan 15. Dog hunting was allowed in southern half of state and verboten in the north. Everything just seemed to make sense, we didn't see that many fawns during bow season but our buck o doe ratio was not as badly skewed as it is here so you normally only saw one rut around thanksgiving. Don't know what GA does with their seasons now. But I do remember your odds of getting checked by game warden were pretty darn high and in my case always a pleasant experience. This is the first state where I have lived where the animosity towards wardens has been so bad. I also started turkey hunting there thanks to the generosity of the citizens of MS. The majority of the restocking efforts in GA were with MS birds. I always thought, wow if I could only hunt in MS they have so many they can give them away. Unfortunately it seems the table has turned as the last numbers I saw had GA way ahead in Turkey management. Sad to see the potential of this state not to be used properly.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”