Which mudmotor

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Which mudmotor

Postby Greenhead329 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Guys I've gotten it narrowed down to a 23 mud buddy surface drive or a 23 backwater longtail.
Boat is a 16x36 welded.
Either motor would honestly do fine for my terrain I run.
Honestly leaning towards the LT due to reliability... (And I'm familiar with them)

However I have 2 friends that are begging me to upgrade (they are happy with theirs)
I do like the idea of a SD
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
cupnglide
Veteran

Re: Which mudmotor

Postby cupnglide » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:10 pm

No longtail experience to draw from. I've owned two surface drives. They will go most anywhere. A good friend who switched from LT to SD said the little bit given up in "offroad ability" is worth it for the increased maneuverability and speed.
Never assume.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:19 am

I just went down this road in the last few months. I sold my GoDevil longtail simply because it didn't fit the style of hunting that I do and it took up an extra 6 feet in storage. I didn't have the bracket that allowed it to swivel inside the hull of the boat. I would recommend getting this if you decide on the longtail. I just upgraded to a 25hp Copperhead that will be here tomorrow. If I were going to get a 23hp like you are looking at, I would strongly look at the Copperheads. They are SIMPLE and in most cases run circles around larger HP motors. Another huge advantage is the weight of these motors VS others that are the same size.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
HardCashBrake
Regular

Postby HardCashBrake » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:20 am

I have run a 12 HP copperhead on my 1436 Weldbuilt for the past two seasons. I have had great performance out of that rig.
Defiantly should consider a surface drive and for your size boat a Copperhead is going to provide the most performance for the weight off the motor. Be careful, a 36" wide boat can be a handful with any mud motor.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
HardCashBrake
Regular

Postby HardCashBrake » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:14 am

I have run a 12 HP copperhead on my 1436 Weldbuilt for the past two seasons. I have had great performance out of that rig.
Defiantly should consider a surface drive and for your size boat a Copperhead is going to provide the most performance for the weight off the motor. Be careful, a 36" wide boat can be a handful with any mud motor.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

Return to “General Discussion Forum”