Miss power?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Miss power?

Postby Denduke » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:27 am

News yesterday said approved 18% rate increase....rumors of bankruptcy! Managing my 85 y/o mothers brokerage that Dad left her. She's got $56K MS Power Preferred ....Hold or Sell....Outa the blue and difficult to get info readily.....Panic? Any quick help!
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Re: Miss power?

Postby REBEL DUCK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:43 am

Sell and put somewhere safe for a 85 year old. Is my opinion.
Get in where you fit in!
Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:32 am

Sell it now and don't look back. I'd rather be a fat pig than a slaughtered hog. That Kemper plant is a total disaster. When the budget is $2B and they're $4B+ over budget you know what's gonna hit the fan.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:39 am

My grandmother had textile stocks for a South Carolina company for many years. Solid stck until NAFTA. She sold her shares at $45 each, her sister held hers two years then dumped af $15. Find a broker and get expertise.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:13 pm

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mone ... /31671689/

It doesn't sound good thats for sure.
Peewee
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Also two financial related things were downgraded today, credit rating and bond rating I think it was. Maybe "IDR" "Issuer Default Rating" is the same thing?

I'm pretty pissed right now about the WHOLE situation. We just got a new "SmartMeter" that is a real step backward from the mechanical. To opt out is an additional $30 a month, ($360) a year. They can't wait to start charging you more during "peak" hours, THAT is next. The lies they tell you about the advantages of the smart meter are laughable.

Everything in this house will be either solar or propane within two years. I have had enough. The propane refrigerators aren't that big or fancy but they'll do.

The A/C will be a problem.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:02 pm

ouch, i wonder about the retirees
Lazy Drake
Veteran

Postby Lazy Drake » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:12 am

Southern Company is not going to let Miss Power go bankrupt. They have pumped over $6 billion in the Kemper coal gasification plant. The PSC will give Miss Power what it needs to cover the cost of Kemper in the long run.
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:20 am

What a debacle!! Down here the judge is forcing them to give us all refunds for the illegal rate hikes they have placed on us. Shortly after, MS Power announces the 18% hike. This new plant is suppose to be cutting edge technology that MS Power can sell. I wonder if us consumers are going to get any of the money from that sale; or rate cuts. I wish in, in my line of work, that I could underestimate a job then place it on the back of someone else to bail me out!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:55 am

"Too big too fail" applies to them as well I guess. Directly or indirectly you guys are getting hosed on your bills and subsidizing the building of the plant.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:20 pm

anyone have experience with residential solar panels to reduce or replace power used from the grid? I'd like to explore the possibilities of installing panels if i could reasonably expect to reduce and eventually eliminate a power bill.
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:18 am

I know I called them to move a service pole with transformer so o could build a building. They told me 3000 to move pole 10 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
Crappie Logic Jigs Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:27 pm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/southern-co-to-buy-agl-resources-for-8-billion-1440416621

I guess they couldn't borrow from the parent company; when the parent company needs to spend $8 billion on its next purchase!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 am

I heard from a very reliable source that they were in the process of filing bankruptcy. Southern Company is refusing to bail them out and the future of Mississippi Power is very dismal. I don't know what will actually happen but I don't see our bills going down anytime soon. The customers have been severly screwed by MS Power and the State of Mississippi in this whole ordeal.
Barq's
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:11 am

I do a lot of business in Texas, they have the free market system. You have a list of company's to choose from, it works great for them. Why is the State of Mississippi controlling the power industry anyway? The last time I looked the state elected officials should be all for the government have less power and the people having more choices.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”