Anyone use Gravely mowers?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Anyone use Gravely mowers?

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Hey guys needing a mower to cut 5 acres. Want something borderline commercial / heavier duty than standard home depot selection.

I was looking hard at the John Deere mowers, however the fed and seed store down the road has started carrying these. I'd rather drive 5 minutes than 30 if at all possible for parts etc
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Natty
Veteran

Re: Anyone use Gravely mowers?

Postby Natty » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 pm

My dad has a 23hp 52"cut he uses on his 1 1/2 acres. Works great and never had an issue.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:30 pm

My uncle has a Gravely "multi tool" of some kind (like pictured below). Has a tiller head and mower head. The thing is at least 40 years old and going strong. If they still last as good as this thing does, i'd get one.

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 pm

I have a Gravely ZT52 with a 26 hp Kawasaki. Built like an absolute tank, I've had zero issues with it. Doesn't ride as smooth as a Ferris or Xmark, but is a step up in quality from any JD that I've driven until you get into their commercial line at twice the price. The hydraulic drive units and engine are commercial grade, and mine came with 5 year warranty. I was comparing against Ferris and Hustler and the Gravely was about $1200 less for equivalent size and HP. Very well engineered unit.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Gravely are great and if you have any body around that sells SCAG check them out as well.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 am

I bought a house with 2.5 acres last year so I upgraded my mower. I purchased a 52" Gravely ZT HD Zero Turn and have been very pleased. I usually take me about 2 hours to mow my grass but I have to stop and pick up soccer balls, footballs, baseballs an occasional BB gun etc. It actually amazes me how fast I can cut the yard with it. My yard is flat and I really don't have trees to have to go around and comfort is not a problem. I cut my mothers yard also which is also flat but have numerous small trees. It is about an acre and it takes be about 45 minutes or so to go around all those dang little trees. I feel like running them over. :-(

Another positive for it is how easy it is to maintain. Everything is easily accessible for oil/filter/belt changes. I haven't hade to replace a belt yet but it looks alot easier than a regular deck mower. I live in Clinton and if you are close and want to test drive it let me know and we can arrange it.
Peewee

Return to “General Discussion Forum”