Ecoboost ????? Can't decide

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Ecoboost ????? Can't decide

Postby GET-N-RITE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 am

Can't decide on the ecoboost or the V8. I found some old post from another member on here that were very helpful, however they were in 2013. So is the ecoboost that much better? Do you trust it vs. the V8? Does anyone have over 100,000 miles on an ecoboost yet?

I have drove both and they have pepped up that V8 and its strong. The ecoboost will flat out haul the mail also, but those turbos make me nervous. I do not buy and trade so I am looking at something that will last.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Re: Ecoboost ????? Can't decide

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:42 am

My personal opinion is that I'm a bit leery of the new ecoboost. But that is based solely on the commercials, so take my advice with a grain of salt. They are really touting their new 2.7L ecoboost engine in the commercials. But that is smaller than the V6 I have in my 2005 Escape. (Even though it has the 3.0L and has carried everything I've ever needed it to, it still isn't the manliest vehicle on the road.)

Good luck.
Nobody owes you anything.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:47 am

wonder if i can fit one of those in my suzuki samurai
COON HUNTER
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:49 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 am

We have several ecoboost trucks in our work fleet. Some have over 100k on them. Overall the trucks are good. Plenty of power, ok fuel economy. The ones with higher millage have developed alot more engine noise than what they had when they were new (excessively so). The shop bills are more expensive on the ecoboost when they give trouble, which is rare. Eventually all turbos give trouble though and they are usually expensive troubles.
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
miket
Veteran

Postby miket » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:51 am

Doing a lot of towing? In my opinion there is no substitute for cubic inches. More is better.
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 am

Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 am

It is the 3.5 ecoboost. I do not pull a lot, but I do pull a boat, 4wheeler, etc. usually somewhere weekly. Turbos scare me in the long run. I would assume upwards of 3,000 to fix them if and when they go out. The 2.7 ecoboost reviews are really good averaging 24.5 mpg, 6 second 0-60 times, and it has a higher towing weight of a dodge, and Chevy I think. I haven't driven one so I can't say whether it is strong or not. I am personally looking at the 3.5.
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:12 am

I can personally attest that the engines have plenty of power. I have had alot of people tell me they are getting over 20 mpg out of their eco boosts. Like i said above we have several of them at work, some with over 100k. The best any of our trucks have gotten in fuel economy is 17 MPG with 14 being average, 12 on the bottom end. Granted we mostly do around town type driving, very little long interstate trips. All of our trucks are 4 door 4x4's.
-Jimbo Mathus
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks for the reply. Looking at 4x4 crew cab as well.
Deltaduk
Veteran

Postby Deltaduk » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 am

Just bought a '14 ecoboost. Love it only got 3500 miles on it so far, But have been happy up to this point.. Bout all can add right now. Have pulled 20' deckboat, 28' pontoon boat , and so far pleased with power
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:49 am

My company has 3 2011 ecoboost F150's, all 4x4 crew cab. The best any of them average is 17 mpg in mostly highway driving, down to like 14. No major issues other than badly missing the vaunted mileage estimates, although they have a strange feel in town - often feels like it's geared too tall and then it grabs and snaps your neck.

They are very strong, no issues with towing capacity. But, I won't buy another one.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm on my second 5.0 and very pleased. Good friend of mind is on his second ecoboost and he is pleased.

No difference in fuel economy and ecoboost is about $5k more, I'm gonna stick with the 5.0
SwampMan
Veteran

Postby SwampMan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 pm

I have a 2013 5.0 4x4 crew cab. Not towing, I love it. Plenty of power and decent mileage (round 17-18 on highway). Different story when hooked to a trailer. I think the engine has plenty of power, but it is hindered by the 6 speed transmission. I hauled my ranger to illinois last year and really surprised the engine didn't come to pieces. 3rd gear going up hills and 6th coming down em. When I hit flat ground north of memphis, it was the same issue with the headwind. Not sure if the ecoboost has the same issue, but it was VERY annoying. Told myself that I would never do that again. Averaged around 8 mpg on that trip.
wingman21
Veteran

Postby wingman21 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I have a 13 5.0, has averages 17ish mpg. Haven't struggled with the things I've pulled. I agree with others 5.0 is cheaper and a proven engine. Had a friend that tore up two turbos in an ecoboost and was told he was driving in too much dust. My friends that drive the Eco say it responds more like a diesel.

End of the day as long as I wasn't working in the field or woods everyday I would take the best deal I could get. Heck with all the computers on board I can't fix anything on trucks anymore anyway

Return to “General Discussion Forum”