Kids, Recoil, and Felt recoil?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Kids, Recoil, and Felt recoil?

Postby missed mallards » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:13 pm

I've seen where quite a few are 'looking' to get their little one a boom stick.

I have a 6 yr old that is 'fired up' about this hunting season. Surprisingly, she went several times last year and actually enjoyed it. She's helped me hang a few cameras this year, and after watching two of our target bucks, she's under the impression she's going to get a 'poop' at them. I mean she's already drug out the old recurve and block working on her shots :lol: .

With that said: and something that has been the question of many a conversation lately.

I've gone to electrical shooting muffs. Best investment yet, and I'd highly recommend them for the young ones.

In my arsenal I have a Rem 700 in 270, Savage 110 in 06, M70 in06, and an Xbolt in 7mm. My buddy shoots a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM.

I'll be honest and say I 'want' to start my girl with a .243. But, I've shot a handi and they just don't tickle my fancy. Will have to do a lot of research before dropping the coin.

Anyone want to explain to me why the XBolt and T3 in the larger calibers have less 'felt' recoil? I can put 10 rounds down range with either without as much as a nudge? As odd as it sounds, I'd rather start her with the 'mag's as apposed to the non banded calibers. This is from my perspective, and several others that have shot all of guns listed above.

It's just odd I guess. Would expect the exact opposite.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Kids, Recoil, and Felt recoil?

Postby cwink » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:49 pm

It is all about rifle weight and how it fits your shoulder. A lightweight 7mm08 will kick more than a heavy .308. The heavier bullet weight you push down the barrel the more recoil it has.

For example.. A 243, 7mm08, 260, and 308 are all the exact same case.. The only difference between them is the caliber (the diameter of the back of the bullet) and the bullet weight. Same with the 25-06,270, 280 and 3006..

A .243 will shoot bullets weighing between 55 and 100 grains.. So you can dial down the recoil by shooting lighter weight bullets

A 7mm08 really only has 2 options 120 and 140

A 308 starts at 150 and goes up to about 180

There are alot of people that say a 243 is not enough gun for deer, but a 7mm08 is plenty.. In reality there is only a difference of 20 grains when comparing the 100 to 120 grains. The deer will never know the difference.. If you poke hole through both lungs the deer is going to die..

A 7mm08 is a capable round for any hoofed animal in North America. And a 243 is more than enough for a 150lb MS deer..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
js
Veteran

Postby js » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 pm

The .308 now comes in a 125 grain reduced recoil from hornady and is devastating on deer I've killed 3 with the savage you sold me cwink never felt any recoil when I was sighting it in.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Folks generally feel like the T3 kicks pretty hard. They're light guns.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:13 pm

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
wudduk
Regular

Postby wudduk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:08 am

I started my son with a cheap single shot 223. He killed a lot of deer with it, but not much of a blood trail. I bought a dpms in 308 to hunt hogs with, a it was so heavy it didnt kick. My son started using it when he was 8. He is not big at all, but that gun has next to no recoil. But it is heavy. With the scope it weighs about 13lbs. But if you are going to be in a shooting house or somewhere they can rest the gun, its not an issue. He is now 11 and thats the only gun he wants to take hunting.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:56 am

Chad can you get that American Ruger in the compact stainless in a 243. If so what kind of $.
Peewee
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:54 am

-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”