300 blackout for youth

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

300 blackout for youth

Postby peewee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:26 am

I know there was some older post about the 300 blackout. I was wondering who is using it for their youth. I spoke with Monty64 yesterday and a camp member but was wanting some more feedback. Also Cwink, I see where you can get it in a Ruger Model. I want to get a rifle for my son, he will be 8 this year. I bought my daughter a 7mm-08 when she was 8 but she was a good bit larger than he is. He also doesn't have near about the shooting experience she has, as she has been my right hand hunter since she was 3 and he hasn't taken a whole lot of interest in hunting. Therefor I would like to start him off with a gun with very little recoil.

Also if anyone knows of a place to shoot around Clinton I would love find a place. We just moved their last fall and I don't know alot of folks.
Peewee
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: 300 blackout for youth

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am

The 300 blackout will definitely kill a deer at moderate range, but in my opinion it might not be the best choice for youth.

If recoil is your major concern I would encourage you to consider getting a rifle that it's your son that you can put a sound suppressor on. A silencer will reduce felt recoil considerably as well as eliminating most of the harsh blast which can also be troubling for kids.

If you have an encore, I would suggest getting a 16 to 20 inch 308 barrel for it, thread the barrel for a silencer and put some sort of youth stock on the on the encore. And use the managed recoil 308 loads.

I have a buddy who lets his 10-year-old son blast deer with a 300 WSM that has a suppressor installed. A larger cartridge than the 300 blackout will help tremendously in the event of a less than desirable shot placement. That same kid has been shooting deer with the suppressed 308 his entire career.

I personally view the blackout in a similar manner as the way I view a 410 shotgun. For hunting big game it should be reserved for experts. Will definitely work on deer, but I think you should imit your son's shots to less than 75 yards if possible. If you can find ammunition loaded with Hornady 125 grain SST, I think that would probably be your best choice. The Barnes black tip is probably the most popular bullet for the blackout, but it is a defensive/law enforcement bullet and in my opinion way over penetrates deer around here.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:18 am

I bought my 7yo a 300BLK last year. I bought the AAC handi-rifle. Great little gun. I wouldn't let him shoot over 75-100yds with it, but at his age it doesn't matter what caliber he used the distance would be under 100yds until I am sure he is proficient with his shooting. It has VERY little recoil without having to use a brake or waiting 6 months for a suppressor. I carry it from time to time when walking through the woods. It has a 16" barrel threaded in cased you want to put a suppressor on it in the future. My boy loves it. It is small enough for him to handle well. You will have a hard time finding a rifle to fit anyone around 8yo as well as this gun.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Also consider the 6.8 SPC.
http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 pm

My 9 year old step-son will be shooting a suppressed 300blk this season (Remington 700 with SilencerCo Saker). I've killed a few deer and pigs with the blackout and I really like it for a short-medium range gun. He loves his "blackout" as he calls it. This afternoons adventure was a watermelon vs a 110gr Nosler Varmegeddon. He thought it was the coolest thing ever.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:18 pm

There is an ever growing list of great youth rounds

.223 - With the new premium bullets a .223 is an good choice for really young shooters who may be recoil sensitive. Look at the Win 64 Power point bullet..

300 Blackout - it is a .223 case necked up to 30 caliber.. Comparable ballistics to the 30/30. Only limitation is range about 200 yards is max

22 Caliber speed demons - 22-250 or 22 Swift will really put a hurt on deer.. I have seen a buck drop in his tracks at 300 yards from a 220 Swift

6.8 Spc - A 27 Caliber bullet that fits nicely between the .223 and .243

243 More than enough gun for deer.

7mm08 is a capable round for any North American hoofed animal.

Here is a quote from Alaska's Wildlife Dept

"If you presently own a rifle chambered for the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester or .30-06 and can place all of your shots in an 8-inch circle out to 200 yards from a sitting or kneeling position you can be a successful Alaska hunter. To be as effective as possible, these cartridges should be loaded with premium quality bullets that are designed to pass completely through a large game animal, if hit in the heart-lung area."

The full article is here.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... g.firearms
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 pm

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 pm

-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”