Gun Stock Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Gun Stock Question

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:37 am

Hey guys, I have a collection of 22 rifles that I have collected from grandparents and great grandparents. I have rifles from both of my granddads, 3 great grandfathers, and 1 from my wifes grandpa. None are worth much money, but they mean a lot to me, and hopefully will to my son. I think it would be neat to have the original owners name put on the stock somehow. What do you guys think and if you would do it, how would your do it. All guns are wood obviously.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Gun Stock Question

Postby teul2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 am

While a good sentimental note to have the names on the guns, I would think it would decrease their value. I get that they are not valued very high now, but may be later. And I get that you nor your son will probably never sell them. But I wouldn't alter the guns in that way. Maybe I would pull off the butt plate, or something like that, and put the name under there. But not in a visible spot.
I would document everything you know about them on a tag or paper and keep it with / on the guns. Provenance of an antique like that can dramatically increase an items value. People pay for the story as much as for the item.
But, that is just my $0.02
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:17 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:25 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:37 pm

I had my initials laser etched into the stock of one of my shotguns at a local trophy shop. I've also had my trust information engraved under the trigger guard of a lower receiver. Both cost around $25
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Discussion Forum”