corn bread

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: corn bread

Postby mfalkner » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:32 am

There is a redeeming use for the Jiffy mix: add a can of drained cream style corn, shredded cheddar cheese and half a packet of ranch dressing mix or garlic and chives. Makes some great tasting corn muffin thingy's. Tain't cornbread, tho...
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:42 am

When you have your skillet preheating in the oven lay a few stripps of bacon in the bottom to cook. If there is to much grease in the bottom, wipe it out with a paper towel then just pur the the mixture over the top of the bacon. Bacon bottom cornbread..
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:30 pm

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
three11
Veteran

Postby three11 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:20 pm

khound22
Veteran

Postby khound22 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:27 pm

THREE pages of cornbread talk?? Like a Buncha fat booty women!!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:39 am

I'll throw my two cents in on the cornbread conversation. I got tired of using mixes as I never could get my corn bread to taste just right. The first necessity is a good well seasoned cast iron skillet. Cooking corn bread in anything other than cast iron is an abomination. I use stone ground corn meal. I buy some at our little grocery store here in Hayneville that is Alabama made, but any good stone ground corn meal should do. Mix two cups of corn meal with one tsp baking powder, one tsp baking soda, one tsp salt then add two or three eggs depending on size and enough butter milk to get a good consistency (between 1.5 and 2 cups). I only use bacon grease. Put a table spoon or two in the skillet and put it in a 400 degree oven while you mix your ingredients. Take the skillet out and shake it a little to coat the sides with grease then pour the excess into the mix and pour it into the skillet and bake for 20 minutes. This is the best corn bread recipe I've found. I made this for my Sunday School Christmas party Saturday night along with a big plate of fried turkey breast and it was a hit.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:45 pm

This is from memory and many times of cooking cornbread.

Pre-heat oven to 400

1 cup Cornmeal 'mix' (White Lilly)
1 cup Flour (White Lilly black label)
2 Tbs Sugar
5 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
Milk

Mix dry ingredients. Add milk to desired consistency (about 3/4 C, then add accordingly after you add the heated oil)

#8 cast iron skillet on stovetop. Cover bottom of skillet with oil and heat it until it begins to smoke. Don't overheat it or it'll blaze-up and you'll have a grease fire rolling across your kitchen ceiling.

Remove from stovetop and swirl around in skillet (carefully) to coat sides. Stir-in oil to mixed ingredients. Stir-in remaining milk to desired consistency. (The more you mess-up, the more you'll learn what works best.......like making a roux). You don't want it too soupy.

Pour-up in iron skillet and bake for 15 minutes on middle rack. After 15 minutes, flip the pone (this takes practice) and put it back in oven for 10 minutes. (if anything sticks to the pan, you didn't use enough oil or pan wasn't hot enough to begin with)

Add butter and Blackstrap Molasses to taste.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:23 pm

For yous guys dat cook in da blind might try what wifey calls "fritters".
Cup/half cup Corn meal
TBS or so s.r. flour
An egg
TBs mayo
Mix all up lil water too if needed
Spoon bought small pancake sizes in 1/4" hot oil in skillet

Can flour, egg, mayo and do Fried biscuit of a sorts too.
No oven!!!

Blind~duck related :wink:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”