Anyone have SlingTV?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Natty
Veteran

Re: Anyone have SlingTV?

Postby Natty » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Question: Can I not hook my modem/router up to any cable drop in the house? I figured if I had Xfinity or whoever I can hook up to wherever I please????
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:49 am

Well, Sling tv told me they are not compatible with a smart tv???
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:40 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Yea, I found out quick they didn't have an app for Chromecast. Roku 3 seemed to be the best option for me at that point, but due to the fact that the AT&T purchase of DirecTV went through I decided to take an intro offer from them for a 2 year contract.

We're hoping that ATT/DTV will have stuff worked out within 12 months or so - and that uVerse will be available by then. My big benefit is that our ATT DSL (used to be Bellsouth) is actually in my wife's fathers name - from when her parents got her a landline phone way before we were married. We can cancel that and sign up for uVerse as new customers when it becomes available.

The biggest thing I found over my weekend of experimenting was that I need a MUCH better wireless router. I flashed Tomato, then Tomato by Shibby, then back to Linksys. I haven't tried DD-WRT yet but I may just get a new router first.

I checked out netgear and asus - but TP-Link seems to be as good or better and MUCH cheaper. I may go that way. I will say I learned a lot looking around.

I suggest that everybody on DuckSouth look into installing their own antenna to pick up free over-the-air tv. It doesn't matter if you cut cable/satellite or not - it's worth the time and money. We live in Anguilla and can get over 25 channels on a 15 foot outdoor pole.

I still haven't figured out why DirecTV doesn't offer locals when DishNetwork does. If I was in Vicksburg or Jackson I could get locals. In the Delta, I can not get them through DirecTV.

edub - are these the types of boxes you're talking about for Kodi/etc?

http://www.geekbuying.com/category/Andr ... oxes-1547/
http://www.androidcentral.com/razer-for ... l-want-buy

---

I'm still looking for the manual to my antenna. It's an outdoor uni-directional RCA antenna. Very large but I don't know the model and I'm not going on the roof just to find that. I'll see if I can't find it around the house and then post the RCA pre-amp and rotor I have. The antenna edub posted looked cool, I went a bit more retro (and free).
Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Mines a Samsung. Don't remember the model. I'm just pissed I bought the best tv out there and can't even use it for this! WTH. I guess I can just go with Comcast cable or dish and get the new customer price and wait on Sling Tv to work with my tv.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:55 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8KOR8O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

yeah those are similar if not the same. The above is the exact one i have however i gave about 50ish for it when i ordered it. If you do some digging A lot of the models of Android TV boxes utilize the same exact system board and can be flashed to custom ROM's of your liking on the various development forums like freaktab etc...
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”