Sod guys

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Sod guys

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:46 am

Laid sod about 4-6 weeks ago. Some has done well and other pieces are very sparse. Looking at the pictures, do I need to cull the sparse pieces and lay new pieces or give the grass time to spread?

I've fertilized once and about to go again.

?

mlj300
Veteran

Re: Sod guys

Postby mlj300 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:36 am

Fertilize and lots of water. It will spread as long as it's getting enough water and sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:43 pm

You don't want TOO much water either. We usually hold off on fertilizing for the first bit, and come back with some light fertilizer a month or so after its good and green. Getting enough sun? Not holding water? Getting enough water?
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Like was said, water a lot, but don't drown it. I would hold off on fertilizer or any chemicals for at least 60 days. That's what Ive always been told.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 am

The sod is laid in an area where it will get filtered sunlight through out the day. Slight slope from back to front. We lightly fertilized after laying it and it's been 4-6 weeks since. I watered it pretty good early and I've tapered back on the watering.

But it sounds like I can leave these pieces down and give them time to grow.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 am

Looks to me like that brown out is from TOO much water. And I wouldn't be putting any fertilizer on it now unless it was a very low nitrogen lawn starter fertilizer. Priority one with new sod is a healthy root system. It looks like you have enough live grass in those pieces that it might fill in but it will take some tlc and paying close attention to what it needs and when it needs it. If your seeing rolled blades that are starting to turn blue/gray in color and they are hard and brittle you're under watering. If you're seeing brown, matted, rotten looking thatch and the soil is moist then you're over watering. There are plenty rules of thumb and schools of thought on when an how much to water but the best practice is to just pay attention to the grass.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”