Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Flag..

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Re: Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Fl

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Just a joke Cwink... Kinda. Love it or leave it dont try to change it....
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Ha. Well yes I guess so, at this point you are vested and your opinion matters as much as mine or anyone that calls MS home. In the grand scheme of things, the flag doesn't matter, but its the slope I don't want people to start down, because if you give in on this issue there will always be another.
IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Ok Lodi and Teul, I'll try and address your questions. First of all, I simply stated my opinion. I never said anyone should feel the same, nor did I say anyone was wrong or bigoted or anything else similar for being pro-current MS flag.
1) I was asked to explain the last vote. Well, I have spent an entire semester analyzing one vote, on one issue. That is an extremely lengthy response requirement to be completely accurate to a degree. The response I provided should be more than sufficient. The question was asked in response to my opinion that most of the "trash" in this state do not vote. They don't.
2) I was asked if those who voted for the flag are racist. I honestly hope you don't think that way and this was a very stupid question. Of course not.
3) I was asked if a new vote would be different. In my humble opinion, I think a new vote would be a lot closer to changing the flag, probably enough to change it this time.
4) Lastly, I was taught about the majority rule in our Government. Our country has voted to keep a lot of stupid things in place (women's voting rights, Jim Crow, etc...). Terrible argument.

That being said, and you may not care to know anyway, but I will fight to the end to honor our MS history. The flag just isn't the line in the sand for me. Memorials, street names, statues, and the like, should all be left out of it. They aren't obviously, but that doesn't influence my stance on the flag. We will have to get out and vote, and write letters to our representatives, (the same thing we have to do now to keep our guns and outdoor lifestyle) to make sure MS continues to honor those lost in the Civil War. We can maintain that history without flying the confederate flag over gov. buildings.

I'm not the type to pick up my ball and go home when the going gets tough and things aren't going the way I think they should. I work very hard to make this place better for the next generation and when I look around and see the recent changes, I know my job is going to keep getting harder. I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong, but I am disappointed at the generalizations and loaded questions thrown out here. It indicates a lack of motivation to even attempt to consider the other side's thoughts on the issue, and reflects the polarization currently tearing this country down.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 am

As of today, to my knowledge, Phil Bryant has still not gone on the record relative to the issue. That is pretty amazing. At some point, I assume he will have a press conference and the question will be asked. I am shocked the national media has not forced his hand yet though.
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:00 am

lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:21 am

Slavery is gone and it has been for 100 years(just for easy math). None of these people complain were slaves nor were their parents. Today, Slavery is an excuse not a reason.

To Cwink's estimate of 20% of Mississippians are racist....I believe this figure is high. Racism/racist is HATE. I don't believe 20% of Mississippian HATE people because of their skin. Most people confuse lack of respect as HATE. I don't respect a lot of people, but I hate very few. Respect has to be earned. To get respect, you must first respect yourself and others.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 am

While I voted for a change to a new state flag back in 2001, not enough like-minded people went to the polls to vote. In fact, the overall turnout for the election was very low, and in particular the turnout for folks who were supposedly against the state flag was poor. Black turnout was very low.

IMO, if you aren't willing to take a short period of time out of your life ( the time it takes to vote), then you must not feel very strongly about an issue. And if you don't bother to vote, then how do you really have standing to complain about the result?

My take on that 2001 election was that the folks who wanted to keep the flag were much more passionate about their feelings than those who wanted a change. The low turnout revealed a lot of apathy on the matter. Thus, I accepted the will of the people who cared enough to vote and concluded that if it didn't matter enough for even the blacks to go vote, then it must not really matter to them ---- so, why was I so fired up about making a change for their supposed benefit?

This is why this will be my only comment here on the matter. I will not expend a drop of energy on this issue again. I debated and expended all the passion that I had for such change back in 2001. I ain't going down that road again. I have bigger and better things to spend my time on, including on people who are appreciative of it and actually say thank you and acknowledge your help and assistance.

My red line on this anti-confederate movement ( just the latest grievance of the professional grievance industry) will be the gravesites/cemeteries of those brave fallen soldiers, some of whom were my ancestors, and most of whom were fighting to protect their families and homes from northern aggression ( as opposed to fighting to protect a group of slaveholders who likely represented less than 2% of the South's population). If anyone defiles, or seeks to defile these places of honor and reverence, then they will be on the receiving end of my demonstration of disdain for their intolerable behavior.

What is displayed on local city and county properties is a local matter for each such municipality and local government entity. Street names are issues for those who live and work on those streets. I don't have a dog in those hunts.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:31 am

Well said, Po Monk
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 am

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 am

Question...I strongly dislike people walking around with their pants hanging off their butt to the point I can see their underwear or a pair of shorts underneath. I strongly dislike people who yell, scream, and cause scenes in public places with no respect for their neighbors or surroundings. I strongly dislike people that talk/mumble ghetto slang and expect me to treat them with respect. I do hate free-loaders that live off the government and take advantage of every government program(some times fraudulently) to get money they didn't earn when they are more than capable of working. I hate seeing people who qualify for EBT fill up their grocery baskets with steak and other stuff that most working people only buy sparingly. I believe profiling and using stereotypes are both acceptable tools for police to use...because they are proven(if you don't like being part of a profile or a stereotype....watch how you present yourself). I believe in equality but that door swings both ways. I've used words like cheeseburger and negro. I've listen, laughed, and told jokes about minority groups. I believe the confederate flag should not be offensive to anyone alive today. I think Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson have done more to hurt Black people than to help them. Am I a racist?

If you think yes, then Cwink's 20% is to low. If you think no, his number is way to high. I don't HATE anyone based on their skin color alone, so by definition...I'm not a racist, but I do hate some Black people. But I promise for every Black person I hate, there is at least one White person I hate as well.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:55 am

Attachments
pp.jpg
pp.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
-George Washington
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 pm

I 100% agree with Lilham!!

We have to start calling it like it is.

the people lilham described, let's call them "unproductive people".

Not all black people are "unproductive people", but most "upproductive people" are black...and that aint my fault and it aint cause I'm white. It's cause they chose to be "unproductive people" I don't like those people no matter what color they are. Just so happens most of those are black and that has been proven by hundreds of studies and statitistics.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Exactly 420. The liberal left and their "Associations and legal teams" have everyone fearing to say something or do something for fear of being called racists. That is their motive, like it or not. That is why they capitalize on these events and tragedies. So they can use that to evoke fear into people not like them. Call it what you want, but I will call a spade a spade. When I see a 1980's Burick on 22's with a themed paint car and rap music and a head leaned back to the window post, I’m sorry I don’t associate that with a college educated presentable American. When I hear of a white man being beaten to death at the waffle house off High Street I don’t think it was the star QB at the local high school. I think of a thug. Conversely, when I think of someone stealing scrap iron or copper, I think of white meth heads. It’s a two way street and stereotypes exists on both sides. The left would lead you to think only white people are racists towards black. One of my favorite sayings is "it’s not stereotyping if it’s the truth".
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Last edited by cwink on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”