Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Flag..

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Flag..

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:12 am

from the State Flag of Mississippi.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... g/29113157

Discuss...

I agree with him. It will be interesting to see what statewide elected leaders, Bryant and Reeves, do on this topic. The state voted at a clip of 65% to keep it back in 2001.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Re: Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Fl

Postby mudsucker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 am

It's time. We can move on to something else for the professional victims to complain about.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:19 am

Not on the flag debate per se, but what is sad is the number of people within a very short length of time after this tradgedy, using it for an agenda. I dont think they've been laid to rest yet and the flag and gun control people are all over the place. Once they get the flag removed, what next? All racially motivated killing will end? If so, I'm all for it, but I doubt it.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 am

You can take away all of the confederate flags, nothing will change. They'll find something else to put the blame on then.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:44 am

Question, answer me this?????....currently there are 137 black-only organizations listed in just the Collective Black People's Movement organization....there are literally 100's of others listed nationwide, bearing the black-only status, and many are government-funded....how are these organizations any LESS racially divisive than a piece of cloth, bearing 13 stars on it???
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:56 am

differential equality
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
TODO
Duck South Addict

Postby TODO » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 am

I think it would help from a business and industrial recruitment prospective.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:43 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 pm

signed,, to keep our flag.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Tate Reeves, in his typical fashion, has now stated it needs to come up for a vote again (sounds reasonable, though he is in office to lead, not to suggest a statewide vote but is too much of a politician to actually take a stand and voice his opinion), Delbert Hosemann says it needs to go and Chris McDanial says it needs to stay. Phil has yet to comment.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:24 pm

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Take it down. Symbols change over time, what might have once been used as a symbol of heritage is now more often used for a symbol of hate. Most of the time when you see this flag waved in public its by a skin head or a guy in a white suit. And yea i had me one on my bumper in high school too.
work hard, play hard
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Yall bunch of turncoat nancies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the dang flag as it is. I guess yall will be for removing all the Confederate monuments in every town in MS next.

BS! its history, want to rewrite the books so it didnt happen?

Shameful and Disgusting!!!!
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:52 pm

I think a Confederate Memorial is a totally different issue. The memorials stand for men who died for a cause they believed in, which is much what our southern heritage is based on, it is in fact a piece of history. I think that the flag was a piece of that history, but I also think that its a symbol which has had its identity trashed by hate groups across the nation. I dont think anyone who proclaims themselves Christians can really believe that hate groups such as KKK, Skinheads or any other white supremacy group, or on the other side the Black Panthers or some of their groups, have what God intended based on loving your fellow man on their minds. With that said I think the Confederate Flag has lost its identity as a symbol of Southern Heritage, and is more widespread, even to whites, as a symbol of hate.

I dont see it that way, being from northeast MS all my life, when I see it, the first thing I can think of is an Ole Miss ballgame in the 1980s. I had one in my room, and one in the corner of my windshield years back. I also dont see them in public very often, in fact about the only time i see them is when some guy with no hair or a white robe is waving it on TV, and thats what the rest of America sees. Whether or not you choose to fly it in your front yard is none of my business, just think it has run its course as a symbol.... its lost its Purity as a symbol of Southern Tradition, it no longer screams BBQ, sweet tea, devotion, and hospitality like it once did. Maybe if everyone in the South had one on their front porch it would, but they dont and is almost always displayed in negative context.

I would never consider removing something like a Confederate Memorial, and I'm not necessarily for the removal of the flag or for the change of our Flag, I just think that I can see why people think its offensive and am quite sick of debating it everytime some whack job kills someone and then they find pics of them posing with it.
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”