Sandbar access/ownership

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duckbuster330
Veteran

Sandbar access/ownership

Postby duckbuster330 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:56 am

What is the law on sandbars of privately owned land? I'm having trouble with people day tripping and leaving trash and bottles on the land I own. Can I put up no trespassing signs and charge them if I find trash on it while they are there? Been trying to dig around and find something about it. Hate to be a d&ck but tired of cleaning up after other people. Just figure it's better to stop them before they get a chance.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
- Mark Twain
Natty
Veteran

Re: Sandbar access/ownership

Postby Natty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:06 am

I don't know the answer to your question, but you aren't being a d&ck. The people leaving the trash are being d&cks. I would just contact an LEO or friendly warden and do what I had to do to stop it.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:09 am

It's a shame people do that. I planned a 3 day canoe trip a few years ago down the Big Black. I researched my route, called landowners, and got permission. Several said "fine". Others asked that I would call a few days in advance so they would know. All were surprised that I bothered calling as they described the same problem you are having.

Edited. I have no idea what is legal. I just called ahead anyways and got permission.
Last edited by Smoke68 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:56 am

Public access only applies to the water. The land beneath it is yours, and if they're getting out of their boats they are trespassing. If it doesn't bother you that they are hanging out there and only want them to clean up their mess, put a garbage can down there with a sign that says, "You're trespassing, clean up your $#!+ when you leave. Don't be a dick, and I won't be one." If that doesn't work, call the sheriff.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:28 pm

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
quackerkiller
Veteran

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:07 pm

I hate to see people do stuff like that.... I enjoy camping on the river and staying a couple days at a time.... But I also bring my trash out with me.... My boat will have water bottles all in it by the end of the day...
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:16 pm

In no way should you put a trash can down there. If someone gets injured or killed a decent attorney will turn that against you as inviting folks on your property. It's sad but it's reality. Your best option for your legal protection is ignore it and pick up after them acting like you didn't know folks were using your property or prosecute them.
Peewee
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:22 am

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:52 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”