Tomato Plants?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
woody
Veteran

Tomato Plants?

Postby woody » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:08 am

This is a first for me so I feel as if I am doing something wrong or I got some bad plants. They are heirloom plants and I know those take longer, but I don't see the tiniest little beginning of a tomato. the pants are growing out of the largest cage/stake I could find. They are at least 6' right now. Plants look healthy. Been feeding them. Its been about 2.5 months. Anything I can do to jump start them again?
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Tomato Plants?

Postby MudHog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:21 am

When you say been feeding them, how much and what have you been feeding them? Possible your over feeding and just making a big plant with no fruit.

Do you have any flowers?
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:39 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
sevenhead
Veteran

Postby sevenhead » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:09 am

I'm no expert on them, so someone else may know better, but you can try and prune them slightly. The theory is that the plants energy is focusing on growing limbs and not fruit, don't cut any limbs with blooms and not many larger than diameter of a pencil. Also look for the "suckers" little sprouts in between the "crotch" of the two limbs and pluck those.

To add: don't prune all in one day, I would imagine pulling all the suckers you see would be fine. prune the larger limbs over a weeks time.
Last edited by sevenhead on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:19 am

Yeah, if they are six feet and no blooms I'm guessing you're using a lot of high nitrogen fert or manure. Get some 0-20-20 and you should be ok. I second what sevenhead said. I have pruned mine quite a bit. Mostly lower limbs and all suckers I have seen. If I didn't my plants would have been unruly. Of course, these are indeterminates.
woody
Veteran

Postby woody » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks, I didn't think I was over feeding. Forgot to metion I have one plant with 2 maters, but growing. I will get 0-20-20
donia
Duck South Addict

Tomato Plants?

Postby donia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:45 am

is the one plant producing an heirloom, as well, or an earlier fruiting variety?

i've already picked a few hand full of cherry tomatoes and a large green green tomato on a hybrid that i'm eying for fried green tomato, in a few days.

*forgot to add that these are in a large square container on 3' legs, so considered container garden
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
hdforester
Veteran

Postby hdforester » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Using Huttos tomato fertilizer blend 6-30-6. My plants are huge and loaded. Started getting fruit last week.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:27 pm

If you prune, you want to prune the suckles off (stem that grows in the split of a branch). Honestly, pruning is a theory. By pruning the suckles off, your also taking away from future flower (fruit) production. If your looking for numbers, leaves the suckles on. If your looking for size with a reduced number of production, prune the suckles off.

If you do prune the suckles off, stick them in a glass of water and they will root out. These will then become your plants for Fall planting.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero

Return to “General Discussion Forum”