defensive driving....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
donia
Duck South Addict

defensive driving....

Postby donia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:08 am

don't know about your towns, but starkville has become a defensive driving town...no look pull-outs into heavy traffic, looking and still pulling out in front of somebody, floating lanes while txting, floating lanes while not txting....
tell your students to keep their heads on a swivel...it ain't just the kids driving badly!

not just 'vegas, though. was run off the road in g'wood by "shameka" doing a no look lane change from the fast lane (driving slow) to the slow lane to get around somebody turning in to viking plant...then somebody pulled out into heavy traffic from off-ramp on the east side of the railroad overpass without looking and forced a truck/trailer over on me - how that wasn't a pile-up, i don't know, but it was averted.

then again, we (miss'ippi) was just voted the most dangerous to drive in.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: defensive driving....

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 am

Donia, the best defense is a good offense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2w4ZLh0P5s

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:46 am

Dude, that's my every day on the I-20, I-55, and I-220 interchanges.

Guaranteed sights on I-220:

at least one shattered windshield,
somebody doing 70 mph on one (or more) of those "temporary" donut tires,
very slow drivers in the fast lane who are determined to back up traffic as much as possible,
someone hauling all their worldly possessions in a beat up pick up and/or a decrepit trailer(neither with lights),
a Grandmother/Grandfather doing 40 mph in a pre 1982 land yacht,
Rims,
"Unique" paint jobs on cars (face it, 'Pepto Bismal' pink is NOT one of Kia's primary paint colors, even on a RIO.)

and last but certainly not least...
somebody texting while driving a broke down compact car.

Admit it, you've seen these sights, haven't you. :P
Last edited by jacksbuddy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody owes you anything.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:31 am

gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:54 am

99% if the time, on I-20 from brandon to work, the asshats doing fiddy in the hammer lane are from scott/smith counties. pay attention, you'll see i'm right. I actually asked Santa for rocket launchers to be installed on my truck....i'm about ready to "james bond" some $hitheads.

gator
Last edited by gator on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Another thing Ive noticed, mainly I55 Ridgeland to Gluckstadt, smooth flow of traffic and tons of Shameekas and Shuns driving 50-11 thousand mph's like the world is on fire. Im talking 85+ and there is atleast one every trip.

Another one is now that school is out, there is a plethroa of people driving around like they have no where to be. Just all up in the way of people trying to get somewhere. That aggitates me the most is the wandering aimlessly drivers.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

You people are forgetting the random pot holes that will rattle your teeth. Yesterday on n. state street and briarwood when i was leaving work there was an older tacoma with what appeared to be a separated hub and rotor laying frame on the ground right in the middle of the red light. His buddy came along later or something and pushed it "out of the way" so that it was only blocking people wanting to turn south on state... Immediately after that I got behind a old Buick with the rear struts blown out and the muffler hangar broken. I know any minute that muffler is coming off and sending metal and sparks my way but somehow it hung in there like a champ.

I think I hate people in general. :shock:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7900403-aarp-online-defensive-driving-course-50-off-save-on-your-insurance-ymmv?v=1
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm thinking about opening a body shop around here. Some fo real sheet riding down the road. Took me a bit to get used to after spending 20 years in Starkville. Up there its distracted drivers doing 50, down here its distracted drivers in POS with no insurance doing 90.
Where'd who go?
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:25 pm

I recently started working in Mobile so I am driving from Ocean Springs to Mobile 5 days a week. Not too bad on the interstate but let me tell you them folks on Schillinger and Airport in Mobile don't give a dang about pulling right out in front of you, cutting you off, or running a red light.
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:16 am

Meeting someone on a two lane and you look over and their eyes are facing downward looking at their phone. That gives me the redass

Hell yeah I've texted while driving but not with other vehicles in the vicinity. That's stupid and stupid can get you killed or someone else.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 am

I tell you another thing on the Interstates that is dangerous. 18 wheelers pulling up side by side on bringing the Interstate to a complete stop well before construction areas begin. I had this happen Wed. at Edwards. I came to a stop on I-20 right past the Edwards exit. I looked to the right where those elk use to be and looked back at my rear view mirror and saw this car about to pile into me. Out of reaction I jerked to the left (fast lane)and the car hit is brakes and skidded down the side of the road to the right of me. After I jerked to the right I could see there was two riggs holding traffic up and the construction didn't start till about a mile up the road. It infuriated me, I could have lost my life due to them. I tried to let the guy who almost hit me pull out in front of me to get in the line of traffic. He just sat on the side of the road. When I got next to him he had his head buried in his steering wheel. I knew then he was as scared as I was. I didn't feel right for a couple hours after just due to being shook up.
Peewee
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 am

Since I've moved to Starkville my road rage has increased to a level that I never thought was possible. My wife has to keep an eye on me
and tell me to take my hand off the horn on a regular basis. I've never encountered driving this bad anywhere in the country. It's almost worth it to pay someone to go get your stuff for you and never leave the house.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
donia
Duck South Addict

defensive driving....

Postby donia » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:29 am

....wait until the fresh crop of green freshmen show up in the fall...

*which may be what's happening now, on a smaller scale, with first term summer school.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Anytime I see a bad driver, I say to myself, "gotta be". And it is 9 times out of 10. :lol:
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”