Anybody Water Skiing?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
leadsthebest
Veteran

Anybody Water Skiing?

Postby leadsthebest » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:07 am

Does anyone on here actually water ski anymore? I ski several time a week, and would love to learn how to run a slalom course. My goal by the end of the year is to ski in a tournament. Anyone know of a course around the Columbus/Starkville area?

Thanks
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: Anybody Water Skiing?

Postby donia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:08 pm

there used to be a ski team long ago that practiced on a course just off of the hwy on the west side of hwy 82 tenn tom bridge...run by a guy out of starkville big on mastercraft (i think it was a club sport at the time, as a college buddy was on the team ..always talked about how intense it was watching the ski jumpers practice).
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
jcr286
Regular

Postby jcr286 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:18 pm

The Cavenaugh's have a ski course on Columbus lake going in towards tibbee creek from the dam. I can send you the exact location if you need it. I skied with them a couple of times, and they are super nice people. I remember them saying it's kinda shallow getting back in there, but if you know the lake, then you should be fine. Here's an article on Mrs. Brenda.

http://www.educ.msstate.edu/featured/index.php?id=193

She can lay it down and her husband is pretty good too.

I'm pretty sure it is their personal course, so you may want to contact them to see if they mind even though it's on a public waterway.
leadsthebest
Veteran

Postby leadsthebest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks for the help.

So I take it no one really skies anymore. On our lake there are several nice wakeboard boats with nice towers, that only pull tubes from the towers. We are really the only people that actually ski. One friend of mine has a wakeboard boat, and all they do is wakeboard. The only other people that ski are a couple of young guys in a bass boat. I smile every time I see them. They are doing it for the love of the sport.

Thanks again.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:47 am

Skiing is pretty basic. Not much you can do or get better at. Wakeboarding has replaced that because you can always work on something new or add a grab or extra 180 to a trick you already know. Not much of a ceiling on it for the average joe unless they just don't want to learn anything new. We seldom see anyone skiing down here on the Pearl River.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:48 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
leadsthebest
Veteran

Postby leadsthebest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:29 am

rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:08 pm

LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Not anymore. Too old, hurts too bad for too long.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”