Rewiring the 1652 g3

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Rewiring the 1652 g3

Postby JDgator » Sun May 31, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi guys,

I bought a used 2003 G3 with the side console steering. The motor and accessories work, (trolling motor, bilge, live well, etc) but the wiring is old and looks a little corroded. I'm wondering how old a boat should before you redo the wiring and circuits. I can do a nice neat job of soldering and I've installed auto electrical components but I've never redone a boat. I wonder how hard it will be. Any advice?
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Re: Rewiring the 1652 g3

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:54 pm

if you have the time, I would re wire the boat. This will save you many frustrations down the road trying to track down problems. Plus you will remember how it is wired and can trouble shoot much easier if there is a problem.

Nothing worse than flipping a switch at 4am expecting lights/bilge/navigation and nothing happens.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Little difference from doing a truck. Just need to pay more attention to waterproofing everything.
Can't speak to the age question.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:11 am

If the Insulation is not cracked or worn - I wouldn't worry about it.

unless the wire connectors are in bad shape. I would recommend the wire connectors with the heat shrink on the ends.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”