So I see the Ross Barnett has a lot of stumps

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Rfjeff9
Regular

So I see the Ross Barnett has a lot of stumps

Postby Rfjeff9 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:24 am

Just below the waterline. Scary for me this weekend, it was my first time putting the boat in (12ft johnboat). I put in at Tommy's and stayed north of 43. I was trying to get the motor a good shakedown, had not been cranked in 4 years. FWIW, the motor is in tip top shape.

But the wind picked up and I decided to putt back to Tommy's along the east side in what Google Maps says is Long Lake. I hit ALOT of stumps in that area With the motor. Gently though so as not to mess it up. I was not expecting that.

Now I am rather concerned about motoring anywhere in the Rez south of the mouth at speed. So I have a few questions.

1. Should I worry about stumps between the markers? I would think not, right?
2. If I am not between the markers, I should probably be really careful for stumps, yes?

I am now thinking of just sticking to Ratliff Ferry and heading up/down from there. Of at least as much importance as fishing, the duck strategy may have just changed for me. I think it more likely that I will look for an oxbow or lake at first light and then float down river and jump shoot in other lakes I pass.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small child than to fumble this football" - John Heisman
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: So I see the Ross Barnett has a lot of stumps

Postby cwink » Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Rfjeff9
Regular

Postby Rfjeff9 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for that. I caught myself skipping a set of markers once also and didn't think too much of it until later when I saw all the stumps off to the side. I am going to take it easy.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small child than to fumble this football" - John Heisman
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed May 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Stay inside the channel markers. Do not run full speed outside the markers until you know what you're doing, and even then you'll hit a bunch of stumps. A 12' jon boat in the rez is dangerous as it is shallow and can blow up and get nasty pretty quick. If you see the BASSCAR guys running WTFO outside the channel markers note that they have probably done it a long while and konw the paths, have torn up many a lower unit, or an idiot that wants to look cool going to catch a fish...or any combination. Best advice, and I know the lake like the back of my hand, stay between the markers when running open until you know where you're going.
Rfjeff9
Regular

Postby Rfjeff9 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:18 pm

rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 am

Let me tell you from experience there are stumps and fallen trees in the channel markers. $7000 in damage to my Nautique a few years ago. Last year a friend in his Malibu same thing north of Ratliff. But typically as long as you stay inside the channel markers you will be fine especially if you stay in the middle of the channel. Outside of that remember that before it flooded just about all of that land under water was trees so yeah there are stumps everywhere. Running it wide open or high speeds in outboard outside the channel markers is asking for trouble. In a 12' boat in the open water above 43 it can get hairy if the wind picks up. It doesn't take much to turn that area into a whitecapping rough ride even with a bigger boat.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”