Buying a new car?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SNOT
Duck South Addict

Buying a new car?

Postby SNOT » Wed May 13, 2015 11:18 am

Getting ready to go car shopping for the wife, anybody got any tips / strategies / secrets when buying from a dealership? Best way to get them to come off the sticker?
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: Buying a new car?

Postby eSJay » Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 am

Depends on the car you choose really. If it's a hot seller, the wiggle room is less.
I've always heard to car shop at the end of the month, but have no data to back up the accuracy.

Do your research before stepping foot on a lot!

If they ask "what would you like your note to be".........don't answer!!!

Won't hurt to ask for a "loyalty" discount if you're buying the same brand that you own now.
If not, ask for the "conquest" discount. This comes from the car maker & the dealer gets it if you don't ask.

Know whether to choose the rebate or the financing discount. Choose the Rebate if you are going to pay off in 3 years. Take the good rate if you plan to make payments longer than 3 years. This is not completely black & white. Might have to do the math.

If trading in, keep those transactions separate. Know what your trade in is worth & stand firm on what you will take.

Also stand firm on your offer & be prepared to walk away if they don't accept your offer. The same car can be bought from many places.

That's all I have. Good luck. I'd rather buy a house than a car!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Wed May 13, 2015 12:45 pm

don't buy from a dealer. buy from an auction. there are several people in town that charge a flat rate. you cut out the middle man and I saved 4-5k per car.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
donia
Duck South Addict

Buying a new car?

Postby donia » Wed May 13, 2015 7:08 pm

You can buy new program cars, yes...brand new off the lot, no....and anything p.i.t.a. that crops up is still worth it. More vehicle for the money and somebody else takes the butt kickin' of "driving it off the lot" depreciation.
you tell them exactly what you want and what your budget is. they send you lists from their multi-auction sites, you see one of interest they send you more details and pics. it can be a quick, harried process once you hone in on a vehicle, but well worth it.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:17 pm

How does one locate an auction buyer in their area?
SNOT
Duck South Addict

Postby SNOT » Wed May 13, 2015 8:27 pm

SNOT
Duck South Addict

Postby SNOT » Wed May 13, 2015 8:29 pm

lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed May 13, 2015 8:44 pm

My best advice is decide exactly what you want car wise with exactly the accessories etc then go online and buy it outa state. I will never buy another vehicle in ms. I have saved a ton of money doing this. You may not can buy brand new but get a barely used vehicle delivered for a big savings. I first found this out when my wife wanted an FX infinity. The infinity dealership wouldn't budge on price. Got a newer model with less miles for almost 5 k less. Bout my tundra out of Texas and got my stepson a Tacoma out of texas as well. Far more to choose from so the prices are much less plus they live of positive feedback with online sales now so they can't jerk you around and the price online is usually the bottom line price within a few hundred bucks so no haggling.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Wed May 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Snot,

I'm not gonna tell ya I have the master plan but I'll tell ya what has worked for me when buying from the dealer. Do your research and know what you are willing to pay and what you want in return. I always secure my own financing, which sucks for the finance guy but works best for me. I tell the salesman my offer and let him know that he can either accept it or reject it. I know this means a trip to the manager or general manager but I'm either buying or leaving in 30 minutes or less.

I also know that they don't sell a vehicle unless it makes sense to them. I have bought several vehicles this way. I paid what I wanted to pay and they made what money they needed to make. I don't know how the dealer views this strategy but I have to feel like it's win, win or they wouldn't sell. Best of luck and hope you pay a price that you're happy with after the sale.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
RIP EM
Duck South Addict

Postby RIP EM » Fri May 15, 2015 10:00 am

Do what RE Duck says.... but do it the last 2 or 3 days of the month!

Dealerships are more willing to bargain.... to help their monthly sales figures!

Rip Em !
OFFSEASON ?,..... Ain't no such thing !
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Fri May 15, 2015 11:13 am

RIP EM
Duck South Addict

Postby RIP EM » Fri May 15, 2015 12:48 pm

ONE MORE THING....May is the worst month to buy!

Due mainly to all the kids graduating, and getting new cars to travel to college!
Most salesmen have reached their quota, and therefore are not "as willing" to come off the price!

Rip Em !
OFFSEASON ?,..... Ain't no such thing !
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:50 pm

I know it's been discussed in a previous thread, but the wise thing to do is buy a used car. That is unless you have enough money not to really care.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
SNOT
Duck South Addict

Postby SNOT » Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”