fly fishermen

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

fly fishermen

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:38 pm

I saw several folks in a previous thread who mentioned fly fishing as a hobby. Do ya'll mainly target trout or do you fish bass, perch, reds ect?

I bought my first 9' 5wt last year and really started using it this spring on a 10 acre lake for bass and bream and Perch. I've heard there are some good places to fish moving water down towards the Hattiesburg are. i have not been down there To learn fishing on moving water.

Any fly forums you read? I am always looking to read and learn more.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Re: fly fishermen

Postby duramax » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Living in Memphis, I live closer to trout water than you probably do, and I go a few times a year to the Ozarks. That's not to say that is my main quarry with the fly rod. I'm an equal opportunity person. I find each year it's rarer and rarer that I pick up a conventional rod and reel, and I almost always opt for a fly rod now. I've heard of folks fishing the Bogue Chitto river on the fly. No reason why that wouldn't be decent panfishing. Probably carp in there too. However, you don't need crystal clear water to learn to fish moving water. Right below the Ross Barnett spillway would be a great place to catch crappie and who knows what else. You'd fish them the exact same way you would trout. Fish an indicator with a weighted nymph rig. Most likely just using something a trout would find gaudy (bright chartreuse etc...). White Bass are also a blast on the fly. Find them and fish them with a small white streamer and you can have a blast. I plan on doing that this summer on the MS River below the wing dams where they stack up. Catfish will be in the same places and contrary to popular belief, they are not just bottom feeders who solely rely on their sense of smell. I've caught a ton on the fly (several over 20lbs) in some brown water and they fight almost as hard as anything you'll find in freshwater. Fish for them similar to how I said to with white bass but with darker streamers. You can just google "how to fly fish for catfish" and find plenty.

I'm sure there is a Mississippi Fly Fishing forum if you search. I seem to recall stumbling across one not too long ago. Once you become proficient, get a guide in Louisiana and chase reds. A day or two with a good guide will teach you more than you'll learn on your own in years of trial and error.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”