Thinning out Coyote

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bustercat64
Veteran

Thinning out Coyote

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:58 pm

We are looking into thinning out coyotes that are on our place and I was just looking into some ideas. We are working on a very fixed budget. Our club is 3500 acres all wooded, all in one block and no open fields other than and 1 to 2 acre food plots. I have seen the shows on tv and would love to call them in but I assume that you would need larger fields than ours to do that. We need to do something soon for every 2 turkey you call in you also will be getting a coyote.
randywallace
Veteran

Re: Thinning out Coyote

Postby randywallace » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Shooting them isn't going to take a significant number. Those suckers get more call shy than you ever thought a turkey could.

Trapping will be the way to remove a significant number. In 15+ years of shooting any yote we saw while we deer/turkey hunted on a 1500 acre lease, the most we ever killed was maybe 4 a year. Trappers take 10-15 a year out of the same place now and get it done in 3-4 days (along with a truck load of coons and several fox/bobcat). The fur market has gone in the crapper though, so you will need to either pay someone to make it worth their time or if you are very lucky find someone that does it simply for the fun of it like the guys that trap our place.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Unless you kill 75% of their population every year, it won't make the slightest difference. They repopulate to their previous levels the next year. Many QDMA studies have actually found it is worse for deer properties to try and remove coyotes bc when their population drops, they change their main quarry (rabbits and rodents) and switch to larger animals like deer and turkey. Moral of the story is shoot them because it's fun, but know unless you go full on scorched earth offense on them, it will do next to nothing. By scorched earth I mean using every method available, dedicated efforts12 months a year. Don't plan on that keeping within any budget.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
three11
Veteran

Postby three11 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:17 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”