Question for CWINK or other carriers

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Question for CWINK or other carriers

Postby Buckwabit » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:32 am

I would like to hear some debate on carrying 9mm, 40S&W, or 45 ACP. I see alot more people every day carrying the .45 Single stack pistols.

I carry an M&P subcompact .40. I like the power verses 11 cartridges match. And the no recoil is nice as well

But why the .45 when most wont carry but 5 or 6??
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
edub20
Duck South Addict

Re: Question for CWINK or other carriers

Postby edub20 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 am

For me, my decision was simple I carry what I shoot best and most accurate. In my case that is normally my Kahr CM9 due to being able to wallet carry or IWB. For me the 9mm is what I shoot best and most accurate and feel as though I can have the most confidence using it in the event something tragic were to go down and warranted such. I do from time to time carry a Kahr CW380 as well however I have larger limitation on distance and accuracy with the small package 380 than with my slightly larger 9mm.

In reality it boils down to what you're comfy shooting and have ample practice using.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:51 am

Here are my thoughts:

- have a gun that is sized such that it is comfortable to carry so you will be more likely to carry it than leave it at home. A 380 on the hip is much better than a 45 in the safe when there is a need for it.
- have a gun that you are comfortable shooting and that you can shoot accurately
- shooting accurately is more important than caliber. Hitting the bad guy center mass with a 380 is more effective than hitting him in the arm with a 45 or missing him all together
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Here are my current carry guns..

Diamond Back DB9 - This is my pocket gun for a 5 minute run to the store it is 6+1 9mm that will fit in the back pocket of my jeans,

Springfield XDS 45 - For when I am going out for longer periods of time or anytime I leave Brandon City limits :D :D . I have one of the new mid mags for it so it is a 6+1 of 45 with another 6 round mag that I carry with it..

I also carry a S&W Shield in 40 because it also has the 1 round ext mag. It was 7+1 of 40 plus another 6 round mag.

I like 40, because it is a compromise between 9 and 45 as far as power and capacity, and if Springfield came out with an XDS 40 I would go to it. But a 40 is snappier than both a similar sized 9 and 45.

Here is a post from my SafeFire Shooting Facebook page yesterday concerning this very topic

If you are on face book go Like my page at https://www.facebook.com/SafeFireShooting

"What's your carry preference? - After a recent range session, the SafeFire team was discussing some of the topics of the day when we started talking about our carry preferences. One of us carried a revolver, one a pocket 380, and one a single stack 45. But we all had started to question our choices based on trends we have been seeing in the news. It seems that more and more criminals are working in teams. In these cases 5,6,or 7 rounds just might not be enough to stop multiple threats. My current carry is a Springfield XDS 6+1 45ACP, but I have been contemplating going to a compact double stack 9mm. So let's hear your thoughts on this topic. What is your current carry setup and are you considering changing?"

And

" Also, keep in mind that it usually takes at least 2-3 rounds to stop an attacker and even law enforcement and military estimate that only about 50% of your rounds will make contact (usually about 20-30% for average civilians), that means if you have 2 attackers you would need at least 8-12 rounds"

I am currently looking at Ruger SR9c, Springfield XDM Compact 9 and S&W M&P9c for compact double stack 9mm to likely be my next carry gun. I have a Glock 19, but I would have to do a good bit of mods to the grip to get it to fit my oversized meat hooks :lol: :lol:

Bottom Line is
1. You should always carry - So get something that you will carry all the time, thinner is easier to carry
2. Carry the highest caliber you can accurately shoot (While I don't like recoil in long guns, handgun recoil is not an issue for me)
3. Carry a gun with the highest capacity of both topics above.
4. Always carry a spare magazine in case of malfunctions or multiple threats (A good rule of thumb is everyone gets 1 before anybody gets 2 especially with single stack guns)
5. Get a good holster one of my favorite is www.onyour6designs.com - Thin, light and about $40 shipped
6. Practice dry firing drawing from a holster, and changing mags at least 5 minutes once a month.
7. Go get some training, contrary to popular belief, you will not be able to perform up to par without training and practice. You will not rise to the occasion, you will default back to your highest level of training mastered..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 am

GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:46 am

Great thread. I am not a pistol person, and I carry a 380 hammerless revolver. I am looking at getting a subcompact, however I am caught between a double stack 9mm XD Mod 2 or a single stack. I have huge hands and a double stack just feels right. Also the idea of having 13+1 or 16+1 with an extension sounds good. The dealer tried to keep selling me an FNS but it did not feel as good as the XD. I am leaning towards a 9mm because I feel like I will be able to shoot it a lot better.

Anyway very good post above.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:51 am

A double stack 9 is pretty hard to carry. They are heavier and thicker than a single stack. Your gonna need bigger pants at least 2" in the waist or loose some weight to carry comfortably.. Most people make the mistake of starting off with a double stack and then find it is too hard to carry so they stop. In addition, too many people concentrate too much on the gun and not enough on the training.

Get a good quality gun that you can carry and practice with it. Most people that carry, have never even tried to dry fire draw the gun from the holster..

If your going to carry daily you should practice monthly (at least dry fire).. I like to ask my students if they can tie their shoes in the dark? All of them say "Yes".

Well you should also be able to draw, load, unload and reload in the dark with your firearm... You should be able to manipulate your firearm like you manipulate your shoe laces.. Muscle Memory..
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:05 am

I have a bodyguard that I like for its size but I have a shield in 40 that I'm more confident in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:03 am

I'm not a big fan of carrying the single stack .45, it's just the size of the pistol vs. round count that I don't like, ballistics aside. Smaller frame in that configuration means a lower round count. To actually carry, I prefer a 9mm double stack, that's typically going to be 13+ rounds. I might have a single stack .45 in the console, tackle box, BBQ gun rig, sock drawer etc. but not inside the waistband. To carry a spare magazine in .45 may only bring the overall total to 14-15 rounds. Hmmph.

Same with a revolver, I may have one in a lot of different places in different calibers, but rarely carry one, even with a speedloader total round count may be 10-12. Hmmph.

I settled on a Browning Hi-power in 9mm because it fit my hand, ergonomics are familiar, decent capacity (13+1) extra magazine gives me 27 rounds. Call me cuckoo but that seems just right. I don't envision a one guy in an alley fight, I envision multiple bad guys, and retreat to a defensive position, still loaded. If I have more ammo than bad guy then he has to reload or fight dry? I dunno, I just like it, peace of mind. I can't become bogged down in ballistic gelatin bababooey. If I'm continuing to send lead downrange the bad guy(s) will need to make some tactical decisions, hopefully bad ones.

The Smith & Wesson 59 series is a good bargain out there, I haven't been that accurate with them though, your mileage may vary. On all older guns though, (including the Browning :cry: ) you may have difficulty finding the latest holsters.

I have little experience with the newer guns (XD, M&P etc.) but my theory is to have plenty of rounds regardless of caliber or manufacturer. In my opinion Glock is bulkiest goofiest pistol I have ever dealt with, flame away.

But as to your point, I think you see a lot of them carried because they are being manufactured by EVERYONE so they are everywhere at every price point and configuration, easy to tinker with/upgrade, plenty of doo-dads to add on, an incomprehensible selection of holsters, and who doesn't like a .45?
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:16 am

I carry a kahr cm9 everyday. Before that it was a Keltec pf9. I have tried and tried to carry a sig p229 and a 4" and 5" 1911. I have found no suitable means to conceal any of them. A crossbreed makes me look like I am carrying a piece of plywood under my shirt. I am 5'9" and 180 lbs and anything in my waistband that is not sob makes me look deformed. If you are wearing a vest or jacket you can conceal a m4, but when it is just khakis and a shirt, things get a lot tougher.

I would love to carry the 4" 1911. I like the .45 and am comfortable shooting it.
There will be a day....
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 pm

I am carrying a Shield 9mm in a Crossbreed QuickClip holster. I am 6ft 235lbs. I have plenty of fat meat on my hip and this little thing just disappears in my side with khakis and a polo shirt tucked in. The shield points and shoots very well for me.

Before this, it was a G27 40cal in a Comp-Tac MTAC holster. It hides well also, but not as easily as my current setup.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:10 pm

I either carry a Glock 23, 20, or 35, Smith and Wesson Shield 40, Smith and Wesson 642, Dan Wesson CBOB (10mm), or a Ruger LCP depending on where i'll be, what i'll be doing and what i'm wearing. I carry the 23 more often than not, followed by the Shield, then the LCP or SW 642, occasionally carry the others. I usually just carry the 20 or 35 during the winter when i'll be out at the farm, the 10mm 1911 gets carried on special occasions or randomly to dinner. Just ordered a 9mm Glock 43 to add to the rotation as well.

So as far as calibers 40SW, 10mm, 38 spl, 380acp, and 9mm. Always a spare mag or speed loader and always a plan to get to another gun (or two) :wink: .
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:31 pm

-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”