Always Ready?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
laduck
Veteran

Always Ready?

Postby laduck » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:32 pm

Waterfowlers know that four or five a.m. is no time to be hunting down equipment. I have a check list, but some of you may have a better one. If any of you want to share, put it on the forum. I am sure either field, lake, or marsh the list will be of great help.

Shoot them sprigs on their first pass!
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Always Ready?

Postby Delta Duck » Mon Jul 16, 2001 6:31 pm

I have a three dog box customized, It will only carry one dog the other 2/3rds is dry storage. When I walk out to my truck everything I need for the season is in there. Execept my summer sausage and coffee.
Matter of fact my truck is so piled with stuff it will only carry one person. It sure does take alot of stuff to be ready for anything.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Always Ready?

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:46 pm

I always pack my stuff up the night before, check it, and hit the rack. Get up, put on my clothes, FIGHT THE WADERS, and hit the water. Having it all done the night before sure helps me sleep better, and keeps me from doing stupid stuff like getting in the blind and realizing I left my contacts back at the ranch because I did not lay them out in my hat. (All import little stuff lives in my upside down hat by my bed, its a almost idiot proof way for me not to forget little stuff, since I gotta take it all out and handle it before I can put on my hat.)
Bluesky
Veteran

Always Ready?

Postby Bluesky » Mon Jul 16, 2001 11:28 pm

Most of my Gear stays at our Camp through the hunting Season. I usually pack up on Thursday Night before heading to camp on Friday!! I pack up, check and hit the rack like GC, I Double check in my mind on Friday before I leave!!
SCOOTER

Always Ready?

Postby SCOOTER » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:52 am

just about can see the blind from the back porch, gear stay's at camp year around, pack's on my wheller comes in handy.
baldduck
Veteran

Always Ready?

Postby baldduck » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:51 am

I do what GC does, get everything ready the night before. Put everything that's important in a 5gallon bucket with a lid to help keep it dry and in one spot. All I want to do in the AM is get up drive to the boat ramp and not really have to think until I put the boat in the water. By that time I'm awake and alert. baldduck

What do yall put in your tool box for things that could or go wrong while out in a boat?
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Always Ready?

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:25 am

Most of my stuff normally stays in my truck or boat that I need, so I am pretty much ready as soon as I go.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

Always Ready?

Postby Unkljohn » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:32 am

I keep everything but my shotgun,calls, and waders in a big bag in my truck. That way all I have to do is grab those 3 things, + coffee and something to munch on, and I'm out the door!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Always Ready?

Postby Anatidae » Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:57 pm

I too, get my stuff together the night before. When I get home, I put it all by the back door, ready for the next day.

I don't have a list, but this is basically all I take (in order of importance). Keep in mind, we 'river hunt' out of a boat.

1)WIFE...If I EVER left her at home, I wouldn't live to hunt another day. She's usually waiting in the truck by the time I finally walk out the door.

2)DOG....belongs to my wife. Wife doesn't go...neither does the dog...'nuff said. Needles to say, I never hunt without either.

3)DAS BOOT (The Boat).....we use two different rigs depending on what our scouting
and weather dictates for the next day. It's got waders, decoys, paddles/ push pole, spotlight(s), pfd's and cushions, 2-way radios, aerial photos (for scouting). Just whatever we think we're gonna need each day.

4)GUN...we both shoot Benelli M1's so I could leave my gun at home and she MIGHT let me use hers.

5)SHELLS..'Think if I left my shells at home she'd give me a few of hers? ONLY if she has any left over, once she limits-out. Fortunately, she's a good wingshot, so I'd probably have enough shells, but by then, the birds may have quit flying.

Now, here's a problem...let's say I left my shells and/or gun at home. She HAS loaned me hers before, so I could still hunt, BUT I killed a banded duck with her gun one time....SO, if I kill a banded duck with her gun, and she hasn't finished her daily limit, yet....the band is HERS (new rule...ya know how good women are at making 'new rules'). I think that one's appropriate, though.

6)CALLS....I feel naked without them, and if we had a poor success rate due to not having a call, I'd never hear the end of it. Calling ducks is the MAIN attraction for me. If I can't 'work' ducks, I'd just a'soon not shoot'em, either. Consequently, Anne keeps a spare DR-85 in her gear bag, along with her call that she used, last season, to call-in her first group of fatheads with. YOU GO GIRL!

7)HUNTING COAT...varies depending on conditions, but has face mask, light gloves (for masking your white hands), pen light, corps permit, choke tube and wrench, and back-up call (1).

8)GEAR BAG...everybody puts different things in there...extra calls, shells, choke tubes/wrench, gloves, camo dust, food, dog treats, tobacco, thermos, matches, game hanger, compass, gps(whatever). 'Depends on how you hunt and how much you want to lug around.

If we walk-in to a hole, I take gun/shells, coat, decoys, calls, waders, and a duck strap. If I'm walkin-in, it means my scouting has paid off and there's a damn good chance I'll be totin' a heavy strap out....'don't want to over-load yourself w/ stuff you don't need.

HAPPY HUNTIN'

Return to “General Discussion Forum”