Sticker spray

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Sticker spray

Postby Chuckle12 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 am

Anybody know what kind of chemical kills the little stickers that come up in your yard. I have no idea what they are called. I'd like to get them early this year before they get sharp and stick in my kids feet.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: Sticker spray

Postby eSJay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:45 am

Sam,
I think they are called sand burrs.
The long term solution is to maintain a healthy weed free yard. To do this, you'll need to pre-emerge in fall and winter as well as fertilize. If your yard already has them right now, I'm not sure what to use. Depending on your grass type, you can hit the stickers with MSMA once it warms up to a constant 70 degrees I think, but you'll probably still have the "stickers".
So if you already have them now, lower your blade and cut yard short, be sure to use a bag to prevent spreading stickers all over your yard.
Note: I'm not a professional yard person, but have been consulted by one (from this board) on dealing with weeds.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 pm

From what I understand the stickers are the seed pics and don't come until mid spring. I hope I can get something to spot spray them now. Someone rec just a general broad leaf spray.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
DoubleBandMS
Veteran

Postby DoubleBandMS » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Sam,
I've spot sprayed trimec southern and fertilome weed free zone with good sucess. The main ingredients are similar but in different percentages I believe. Trimec
Is a good general broadleaf herbicide. I'm not an expert at all so maybe one of the turf guys can chime in. I have bermudagrass and always mix herbicide with surfactant.
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Tordon and I personally guarantee you won't have anymore stickers or grass for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:44 pm

I use Scotts Southern Weed and Feed and it kills the little stickers. My Aunt and Uncle next door don't do anything and their yard is full of them. My daughter got caught a couple times barefoot going from our yard to their yard. She stopped quick once she got in their yard.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 pm

The weed in question is lawn burweed or spur weed Soliva sessilis

Return to “General Discussion Forum”