Rocks... who is finding some?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Johnboy114
Veteran

Re: Rocks... who is finding some?

Postby Johnboy114 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:00 am

My first ever time to find anything. Sure wish it was closer to the house. This was after walking for about 25 minutes. Was a field next to a creek. There was a ton of broken pieces. Guessing where they made them. Hey tica why do you suspect you find em in creek beds?
Attachments
image.jpg
Galatians 2:20

Its a rat race down here, the only problem is that the rats are going to win!
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

This is actually a cooler rock than the angle shows...Lila was super-excited to find her first "rock".

gator
Attachments
lila's first rock.jpg
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 pm

tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 am

Last edited by tica-tica on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:15 am

gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 am

HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Just to kick start the thread again, here are some great youtube videos of other arrowhead hunters around the states:

Over in the great basin in California:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrUaIzPaAjY&list=LLERJvQWngE1E9h45b9x---Q&index=207

Missouri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMjKkY3--GY&index=231&list=LLERJvQWngE1E9h45b9x---Q

Digging a cache of arrowheads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1KuDLCDVWA
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Well my grandad wants me to come scrap some dirt from around his driveway with the skid steer, because he's tired of mud getting on his driveway when it rains. When he was explaining the spot to me my dad was standing there with him and said "Isn't that right where that sassafras tree was?" and my grandad, grandma, and dad all agreed thats about where it was.

Dad said it was triple trunked and big enough for him to get on the inside of it and play as a kid and said he remembers digging up a few arrow heads in the middle of the trees. So I'm going to keep my eye out when I scrap it off for him and maybe I'll get lucky and find something.

Guy right around the corner from my grandparents is clearing off a bunch of tree lines for his fields and has piles of dirt everywhere. I may go poke around those too.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 pm

sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:10 pm

There isn't just a ton of rocky outcroppings around us that I can think of. Just a few pieces (like as big as a truck) on the side of the highways out in the county. I'm not sure how accurate Google Earth is, but I was looking at the elevation difference between my grandparents house and the river. They are 32 feet higher than the land around the river. Their house was sitting at 254 and the river was around 222ish, but moving through the trees around the river I found a spot that steadily jumped all the way to 275, that is a stones throw away from the river and has been Corp of Engineer land for as long as anyone can remember.

Also are any creeks good to look in? There are some in my area, and a few that run through my parents place, but seems like they aren't "old enough". There is one on the east side of town that I want to walk when the water goes down, its what the town is named after when the first settlers bought it from the Indians, they named it from the creek.

When looked through Google Earth and using the time feature, I forgot they had straightened a creek and dredged it. Changing its course significantly, I'm guessing I could find the old creek bed, and that probably wouldn't be a bad spot either right?
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Steep banked creeks are GREAT places to look...shovel and sifter might help you find fossils, civil war relics, and native stuff...get after em :wink:

What county are ya in?
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Mon May 04, 2015 2:03 pm

sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:39 pm

There are a few deep creeks around my parents place where you can see the soil change layers in the creek banks. Everything is so high right now because the lakes are high, its impossible to walk them though.

To the other person asking I'm in Tate County, MS. Far NW corner.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sun May 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Im in Desoto...the wife and I have been going over to Frankstown, north of Tupelo, to find fossils. Last trip we found 155 shark teeth and bunch of " others". Found some chips but no complete points. I know a collecter in the area that finds some awsome point on private proprty. If fossils are your thing....google Frankstown Fossil Park. Civil war relics are found in the area as well...Prentiss County. Around here most folks walk plowed feilds...ALOT of Mound Builders, so, most stuff was found years ago when railroads came through. Gravel bars on the big muddy produce at times of low water levels as well :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 pm

I stumbled upon this one the last Wednesday of Turkey season. I was walking a fire break just up from a creek and she was lying on the ground like someone set it there 5 mins before I walked up.

This is the first point we have ever found on our property, which encourages me that there maybe be more...
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”