Rocks... who is finding some?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tica-tica
Veteran

Rocks... who is finding some?

Postby tica-tica » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:12 am

Here are a few finds from March. Should be a bunch of turned ground to hunt soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1nN0wyJkaM
wudduk
Regular

Re: Rocks... who is finding some?

Postby wudduk » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:37 am

Fortunate enough to have a place right behind my house. My kids found a couple last weekend. Its not fields, but old logging roads. I go back there with a landscaping rake and then wait for the rain.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:50 am

Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:23 am

Super! My locations are still covered in winter grass. I am ready to see some farmers working the fields!
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 pm

I know yall are talking about points but I do more petrified wood, geode, fossil, and bone hunting. I found a vertebrae from a 36 million year old dinosaur this week! And a ton of wood.
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 am

I used to do the wood and bone thing... back in high school we found two baby mastodon jawbones with teeth and two sabertooth rib bones in the same hole in a creek.. had them tested and verified .. we sold one which was then donated to Millsaps they display it at the gems show every yr in their booth and not really sure where the other one went .. I know it was a mofo walking them back down that creek bed to the road.... I have some wood that would blow ya mind..logs that will fill the bed of ya truck....
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:57 am

What kind of creeks do you look in? Rocky, sandy, clay?
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Sweet. You have any pictures of the bones/wood yall found? For some reason we don't find that kinda stuff over this way. I think the soil is more acidic and it just didn't preserve here.

If looking for creeks to hunt arrowheads in I would look for creeks with high walls on either side of the creek. Creeks that flow thru low land are not as good and usually just silted in. Look for the gravel bars in the bends of creeks. Something about how water naturally sorts stuff out and places similar size rocks together and stacks them on the bars of the creeks. That's the place to look for artifacts.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Took the wife over to Frankstown in Prentis County to the fossil park. We found 55 shark teeth( mostly Goblin Sharks) and about ten "others" in 3 hours of sifting...still trying to figure them out. Everything is from the Cretateous Period (75 million years ago) and VERY freakin' cool...check it out ifn ya get chance ( free and open to the public)...nice rocks :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Gonna be weird when the end comes and everybody finds out nothing is older than 6-7000 years.

But I won't bore y'all with that discussion. :D
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 pm

That's a neat video, Tica!
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 am

No rocks, but I've been doing my own artifact hunting. I live in a 115 year old house with a ditch on one side. They obviously used the ditch as a garbage dump for many years. So, after some good rains, I walk the ditch to see what I can find. Found these Monday after noon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427378773.372070.jpg

This is my group I just haven't cleaned up yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427378810.602488.jpg

This is my shelf of glass from the last year or so. I've got a box full under the house.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427378865.048442.jpg
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 am

Wow, nice old bottles. I have found old bottles while hunting arrowheads. I also wandered into an old bottle dump and I need to get back to it and dig some up.

A lot of times I will be walking fields and see old foundation stones, bits of ceramic pottery and other stuff obviously IDing where an old home site use to be in the field. I have found old coins, silver forks/spoons and antique marbles around these sites. Need to get back to them with a metal detector because that is just the stuff I found with naked eye.
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm

On my parents land, i found an old bottle sticking out of the old road leading to a small house site up by a pond. Nothing is left from the house but the chimney that's laying in ruins and the clearing that we keep bushogged where the house was sitting. Maybe a 20' x 20' area. I don't remember exactly what the bottle was, but it was a from a medicine company from the 30's. Was really cool to find intact. I washed it out in the pond and gave it to my mom that keeps her soap for the kitchen sink in it now.

I love finding "old" stuff like that bottle, and would love to find arrow heads. This stuff fascinates me. My dad found loads of them when they expanded his parents house when he was a kid. They lived in the only high ground between a creek and the Coldwater River. He found spear heads, arrow heads, all kind of tools. Maybe I need to go dig some holes in my grandparents yard :lol:
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Tica, that video is unbelievable. Explain to me why there is such a concentration in that area of artifacts. Was the population so dense in that area or did a few indians make that many arrowheads? Or was that a spot that had a multi generational use by indians?

Woudl love to find a place like that.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net

Return to “General Discussion Forum”