New York City

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
quakwacker
Duck South Addict

New York City

Postby quakwacker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 am

The wife and I are going in September. I'm looking for ideas of things to do. I've been before but it was just to a Yankee game and then back home. This time we will be "tourists". Throw some ideas out there. We will be there for 4 or 5 days.
woody
Veteran

Re: New York City

Postby woody » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 am

Peter Luger's steakhouse. Don't be a rookie and ask for a menu. Just go in order bacon as the appetizer, steak for 2 and side of creamed spinach. you will not be disappointed. Place has been around forever.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:26 am

carmine's for chicken parmesan. 200 w 44th street. 1 order will feed you both!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:27 pm

2nd on Carmine's. Do the nbc tour some of it's corny but you get to go the sat night live stage and that's cool. Little Italy for dinner. China town is cool take some time to walk around and haggle on some deals. Central park carriage ride with the wife at night and walk around the park a little during the daytime. Great time of year to be there.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Go to the Beretta store.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 am

Ride a sight seeing bus...go to the empire state building lookout...Carnage's for a pastrami or rueban sammich...twin towers memorial... M&M store...aircraft carrier... Museums...y'all have fun :-)
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 pm

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:30 pm

Study up on the subway system before you go. My wife did this and we got around NY for 5 days on a $25 subway pass including getting from the airport to the hotel. For the most part it will drop you off within a block of wherever you want to be if you know what to get on.

I will try to get you a list of the good eats we had there. One of my wife's friends writes for a food mag up there so we ate local the entire time. It was good-amazing and it was cheaper than I expected but we were not a the touristy places.

There is a website that you can type in the places you want to see while you are there and it will spit out an itinerary so that you don't wast time going from one side of the city to the other. It also gives you directions be it subway or walking. It will give you normal amounts of time to be at the location but allows plenty of time if you want to stay longer. We used it and I was skeptical but it worked.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Stop in a see Rice. Then kick him in the nuts for me!
Where'd who go?
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:16 am

I spent a whole day there just looking at old churches and grave yards. I'm weird like that. You won't have any problems finding something good to eat up there.
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
jc
Regular

Postby jc » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:59 am

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and go try Grimaldi's Pizzeria. It is right off of the Brooklyn Bridge. The salt cured black olives are the best thing that I have ever had. You will also feel like you are in an espisode of The Soprano's , I actually saw Steve Schirripa, played Bobby, last year in there was I was eating. Take cash, no checks no cards and no individual slices are sold, only whole pies!
Your hunt is only as good as your dog and the people that are with you.
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Up2Early
Veteran

Postby Up2Early » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:11 pm

SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:20 pm

http://katzsdelicatessen.com/menus/ Eat here. Great pastrami sammich!
http://www.carminesnyc.com/ We ate at the upper west side location(Broadway) and loved it.
Have been to http://carnegiedeli.com/ A little over priced but one sammich can feed two people! Piled high meats.
Some of the mom and pop diners offer good food at a fair price.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”