anyone built an AR platform rifle

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: anyone built an AR platform rifle

Postby teul2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:53 am

How would you even get a gauge in there to check the head space? The bolt face is in front of the locking lugs, so when the bolt is closed, it it sealed in the locking "cavity".
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:34 am

I've never used them but they look like a cartridge. They come as a set and you put them in the chamber. The bolt should close or not close indicate a problem depending on the gauge.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 26876.aspx
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:23 am

Information on barrel changes and go/nogo gauges: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/ ... n-minutes/

This is on a Savage bolt action rifle, but similar on other sporting rifles that have a threaded barrel. Rebarreling isn't necessarily a gunsmith required task, IF the barrel is threaded.

I'm not aware that gauges are specific to reamers. The barrel, although reamed, should still meet SAAMI specs, which is what the gauges are built to.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Should have specified that I was referring to the fact that there is a difference between 5.56 and 223 Remington. Also 308 Winchester and 7.62 x 51 even though many people consider these 22 or 30 caliber chambers interchangeable. Are slight differences in the reamer dimensions which could cause errors.

Sorry for any confusion.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:46 am

Okay I've got to be honest, I may not know what I'm talking about?

They sell various gauges for 223 Remington, 223 wylde, and 556. I assumed there was a difference in those various chambers.

As best I can tell after looking into this a little further the only real difference in those chambers is in the throat portion which is in front of the shoulder and I don't understand how it could be possible for the gauge to detect differences in the throat portion of the various chambers?

So now I am totally confused as to why they sell the various chamber gauges?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”