anyone built an AR platform rifle

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead329
Veteran

anyone built an AR platform rifle

Postby Greenhead329 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Wanting to try my hand and build from scratch. Any one done this? Recommendations ? Dos and don't
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: anyone built an AR platform rifle

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:48 am

I have. Not that hard, but you do need some proper tools.
Don't skimp, buy quality parts and you'll likley have a finished product that will shoot as good as (almost) a bolt action.

I'd suggest either one of these to install the barrel:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 27452.aspx

Or

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 17094.aspx

In my opinion the barrel extension is safer for torquing the barrel to proper spec.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:50 am

Do you mean installing the barrel yourself? Or just "assembling" the lower and attaching a complete upper? I've done the latter a couple of times. It's very easy but not really what I'd call building from scratch. It's a less expensive way to get what you want in terms of configuration.
ShiftZ
Regular

Postby ShiftZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:39 am

Buying an assembled upper the way you want is definetly the easy way to go. Putting together a lower reciever is a lot of fun and can be done in under an hour. This way you can customize the rifle to what you like from the beginning instead of paying for parts you are going to take off and replace later
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
tazdog
Veteran

Postby tazdog » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:26 pm

I'm also thinking about this but I want to go from scratch ( from 80% lower to flash hider) project with kids. Thinking about 5.56 for complete build then doing 6.8 spc for deer hunting. There is a lot of info on www.ar15.com
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:22 pm

I went from zero AR rifles to two lowers in a matter of 3 weeks. I bought a blemished stripped Aero Precision lower from Rocky Mounting Reloading around V-Day for $56 delivered to my FFL. Then I bought a complete Anderson lower from a guy in Baton Rouge who mailed it to me via USPS (no FFL). I bought a CMMG parts kits for the stripped lower, but haven't assembled it yet. I plan to buy a barreled upper for simplicity. I was looking at a rifle kit from Daytona Tactical which included an 80% lower, but the company seems a little shaddy when I searched for them over on AR15.com. Right now, I'm looking at MAS Defense's 300BLK upper. I can get a barreled upper with the Aero Precision upgrade for under $400. I plan to do 223 Wylde for the Anderson lower and have a pistol caliber upper to change out.

I will finish a 80% lower one day. The bad thing about 80% jigs is the more lowers you do, the cheaper the jig becomes. :mrgreen:

If you intend to do the upper from scratch, you will need a NO GO gauge to set the head spacing.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
adame
Duck South Addict

Postby adame » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 pm

I did this is mine

18" aero precision barrel, upper, and 15" hand guard. PSA lower, magpul stock, grip. Vortex crossfire 4-16x50. Still have to get a bipod. About to build a 300 blkout sbr
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:36 pm

I am in the process of building a 300 blk sbr for my SDN-6. Started with a MSGO lower. LPK from PSA, 9" AAC assembled upper, H2 buffer, springs, buttstock, etc... If you are buying an assembled upper the rest seems pretty strait-forward.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:11 am

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at going with a high end barrel like a bartlein or shilen, mating it to a rra upper
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
CBRADGO
Veteran

Postby CBRADGO » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:41 pm

This was mine. All built with DPMS, Adams Arms piston kit, CMMG upper, etc. if I can do it, anyone can. Lots of good youtube vids. I would just watch a little bit, rewind, try it, cuss, rewind it, find the $&@&)& springs, rewind it, etc. It was actually fun, hated to get rid of it but someone wanted it more than me...

"I stay away from that forum. It turns people into idiots and the ones who are idiots to start with are unbearable..."

-Blackduck
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:54 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:28 pm

wildfowler, I've read the same thing about headspace.. I've got three ARs that's never had a gauge.. But I did buy the same BCG and barrel made by the same company.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:30 pm

I just did a couple minutes of reading and learned something. Apparently headspace on these guns is set by the barrel extension. If you buy a barrel with that already installed, which is apparently how they're often sold, then there isn't much to do by the assembler.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:34 am

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 am

I think you could use those gauges to check a barrel and bolt prior to firing it for the first time for peace of mind. But I think those gauges are actually specific to certain chamber reamers and unless you knew exactly which chamber you have your gauge may give you a false reading.

You're probably okay if you just stay away from the no-name gun show cheap-o barrel and only buy from reputable name brand makers.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”