PO Box required

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

PO Box required

Postby teul2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:07 pm

I can't find the answer online in the myriad of bureaucratic BS on the government's sites, so I ask the brain trust.

How can the Post Office require me to have a PO Box and still charge me $220 a year for it? We live about 800 feet from the Post office. They do not deliver mail in town for some reason, but do deliver to the people 100 yards down the road out of the city limits. It makes no sense to me.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Re: PO Box required

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 pm

It sounds like you are the victim of an unwritten policy. In other words, they are being lazy. Demand to see an official copy of the written policy that states they cannot deliver mail to you. If not, it just might be time to speak with a supervisor. (Believe it or not, there just may be a good reason for this policy. Either way, you deserve an explanation.) Good luck, and keep us posted.
Nobody owes you anything.
OBoykin
Regular

Postby OBoykin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:20 am

I will be so glad when USPS finally caves in...they have rules and regulations to fit every situation they *don't* want to do. Any other company would look at you as a customer and bend over backwards to make sure there was a destination for sent mail. Most inefficient organization ever. Good luck with that J., 'cause my mail went from next day to 10 day mail as soon as we got the new postal czar in town.

Next gub'ment project...Obamacare.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:56 am

Tha man...always tryin'a keep a man down
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:32 pm

My PO box is 25.00 a year
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Sorry, I guess I had my numbers confused after reading all the USPS PO Box info. Ours is $55 twice a year. Had to ask the boss.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:02 am

My safety deposit box is only like $20 a year.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 am

USPS decided to stop delivering mail to my office, in the middle of town. They deliver to a house and their mailbox is less than 50' from my driveway...... I see the mailman drive by my office every day.

So, not only did I have to change my business address and all my stationary, but I have to drive across town to get my mail every day.

So thanks for nothing USPS.
OBDUCKS
Regular

Postby OBDUCKS » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:53 am

It is in a manual used to be the ASM Adm Support Manual......I think. Anyway it was a way to help pay for and keep small post offices open when they started RFD Rural Free Delivery in the USA back in the 20's or 30's.
OBDUCKS
Regular

Postby OBDUCKS » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:20 am

It may be time for the PO to go the way of the Pony Express but you need to understand a few things. First UPS, Fedex, and many others want it to go down so they can pick the cream off the top. They (hell I and others) have thought of ways to start our own company to deliver monthly bills such a water/elect ect. circs...anything small on a schedule once or twice a month and make a killing. But that does not include regular mail or sending it from here to there. Just the stuff that the PO actually makes money on to pay for the stuff sent across country that they lose money on. No one will deliver rural or pay for keeping a small PO open (do you see Fedex or UPS delivering every house every day now? NO because rural as it is would not be cost effective...just larger towns. Who do you think would be left to deliver all the stuff no one else wants that loses money? Yep the Post Office. And where do you think the money will come from since all the stuff that pays for it have been skimed off the top. I have 38 years with them and it has changed a LOT from when I started. I can see much needed changes and reality checks for everyone but do not think if it goes private that it will be great for the rural areas of our country. Not the greatest at trying to explain stuff but hope what I was trying to explain is clear.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:31 am

What's the circumstances for the folks they are delivering to further down the street. Are the elderly, disabled, social security, all of the above. That might explain why they get home delivery. I know it may seem like a simple matter to just deliver yours when they are getting theirs but is the mail sorted prior to getting to your local post office. It may come in bulk shrink wrap presorted to go in the P O Box. The only way to get yours pulled out would be for some special circumstance like what I mentioned.

Had a package disappear several weeks ago and learned a lot about postal processing dealing with that. There's USPS processing center in North Houston where something got hung for 3 weeks. After some reading I learned it was one of the worst centers in America and front line people were having issues with management. They couldn't strike like PATCO did decades ago for risk of being fired though I don't think Obama would have let that happen. Still Reagan laid down the low that down in the Rose Garden. Get your booty back to work or get canned. So the only recourse for front line people is a work ssssslllllloooowwww down and lost stuff.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”