New Truck? Ford or Chevy

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

New Truck? Ford or Chevy

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:52 am

Really debating on a new truck. I have drove the new ford's V6 and really liked it.

Just looking for opinions and if anyone is driving a new or newer chevy or ford.

I have read about 15 pages on the turbo V6 and that is probably what I would go with if I went the ford route

I like the chevy but they have some many quality problems I am a little leery about buying one.

Any help is appreciated
peewee
Duck South Addict

Re: New Truck? Ford or Chevy

Postby peewee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:59 am

Take it for what it is worth from my experience. I have had 3 GM trucks, S-10, Sonoma, and currently own a 2007 Z 71. I will not own another. The QC is crap. Everytime I turn around it seems like something else needs to be replaced on my Z 71. I should have never gotten rid of my tundra that I had before this truck but I needed the extra space due to having another child.
Peewee
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 pm

After the problems I've had out of my last 2, I'll do my level best to never own another GM vehicle.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

I have had 2 z71s (05, 13). Never had any issues with mine that I didn't help cause.

I went with a ltz z71 over ford or Toyota because a comparable truck in those was 10k or so higher. I really liked the interior of the fords though.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:11 pm

I had an '85 Toyota 4x4 (bad as hell) and 5 Z71's and curently have a 3/4 Chevy diesel. I don't know what QC PeWee is talking about, I haven't ever had a major problem with any of my trucks that I didn't cause (youg kid tearing up the roads and mud) All vehicles have problems, just depends on whether you want a ford ore chevy or dodge or toyota or nissan or whatever, but rest assured they will all end up in the shop at some point or another. I would look at major faults a vehicle has, like the ford 6.0 and the 6.4, not aware of any major issues to look out for with the other brands, but those engines were known for failing unless you did a substantial amount of work to them before they broke. I woudln't worry about wheel bearings, bushings, electric window motor, ball joints, shocks, etc...cause they all gonna break no matter what.

What problems are you all speaking of with the GM vehicles? I need to know what to look out for with mine
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 pm

I've put over 225k on 2 different GMCs without anything major that wouldn't have happened or wore out on any brand vehicle. I drive a 2011 F-150 for work and I don't particularly care for it. It rides nice and gets decent gas mileage for a full size, but doesn't have a whole lot of power in the mud and the seats are horrible. Whoever designed the head rests needs kicked in the nuts. The front seat head rests are angled so much it feels like they poke you in the back of the head. The back seat head rests are so big you can't see out of the back window good. I know many won't consider that a major thing, but if you drive a lot it's bothersome and I also wanna be comfortable when I'm behind the wheel.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:33 pm

I had a 2007 GMC that lasted 155,000 miles before the motor started knocking and I had major drivetrain issues at 120K. Traded it and bought a 2011 F-150 and the only trouble I had out of it was the rear end when it was brand new because the new design didn't have cooling fins on the differential. Got that fixed under warranty and had no trouble all the way to 183K. I traded it and got the same truck in a 2014 model. Went with the 5.0 in both trucks, its just a rock solid motor. I drove a Ecoboost platinum as a loaner and didn't care for it at all. They are a lot more expensive and do NOT get that much better gas mileage for where I drive. 2 mpg tops..
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Currently have a 2008 GMC 1500 with the 5.3L V8 with active fuel management. Will not own another with that motor unless I am assured the issues are fixed. I have had a known issue with the valve rocker going bad on one of the cylinders that had to be replaced (out of warranty). Then known issues with the valve cover issue holding / burning oil. Which doesn't smoke b/c of the 4 catalytic converters it has so you dont know it's happening. Burnt oil hoses up the catalytic converters. So had to replace a valve rocker, the valve covers, and 2 catalytic converters (they are on one piece of exhaust pipe).
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:03 pm

I agree with the last few. I've had 3 1500 Z71's and 2 2500 Z71 diesels. My wife has had a Z71 Tahoe, a Suburban, Yukon XL. Heck, her last two were an Infinity QX 56 and a Mercedes GL450 and she wanted to go back to a Yukon XL after owning the Mercedes for just 6 months. I have a 1500 99 model I use for hunting and a 98 Tahoe I use for hunting now that a relative wanted the 99 model. My mother and father have had 3 Tahoes, 2 1500 2wD trucks, and a Z71. My brother has had 2 Yukons, Trailblazer. All of my uncles, aunts, cousins drive Tahoes, or 1500 2wd trucks or Z71s except for one that drives a ford. Out of ALL of those, only 2 of them have ever even been in the shop. Both were from vibrations that mechanics caused with loose bolts and were fixed with alignments and balancing and tightening.

Any vehicle will last a long time if you do the preventive maintenance you are recommended and don't take off across mudholes and try to jump ditches. We change oil every 3K-6K miles.........balance tires everytime. Fords are not bad at all.......but ive known them to have way more problems than any GM vehicles. They also seem to rattle more as they get older.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Thank you.....I currently drive an 05 trd Tacoma. I have 200,000 on it and it still runs like a top, but I am starting to have some trouble with it, but all minor.

I would go back with a mid size truck but I am not getting any better MPG than a full size truck. I think I am averaging around 16-17MPG.

I do get a GM discount and that is the only thing that is pushing me towards a GM truck. I do however really like the new fords. I do not know if one is better than the other, but I am no more of a chevy guy than a ford guy. It really doesn't matter to me, just know if I drop that much money I would like real world opinions rather than reading 1,000's of pages and reviews for car and drive etc.
duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:38 pm

I had a 2004 Z71 with 240k miles on it traded almost two years ago on a 2013 Z71 currently have 55k on it and I've loved both of them when I buy another one it will be just like these two unless I decide to go diesel
Life is to short to only fish on weekends
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Love my Colorado...Used to drive an F150 for work, and, if I think about it long enough, I can still feel the wedge it put in my spine...hated the Ford :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:53 pm

From experience I liked my ford better. I had a 1997 f150, strong as hell. Only major issue was leaking oil (175k) and I had some spark plug issues but once I changed mechanics that self corrected. Would pull the $#!+ out of a trailer..able to pull a double axle trailer with 6k worth of gravel

My 2006 gmc was a hell of alot better ride, more comfortable interior And better on fuel by 4mpg... Truck was weak even with a bigger engine than the ford. It hated pulling a trailer even a light weight one only carrying a lawnmower. At 55k the rear end burned up, truck apparently had been on fire while under warranty. Plagued with electrical issues...
but with routine maintenance and once rear end fixed I put 70k miles on it

I drive a dodge now and love it ...
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 pm

After getting out of my 98 Tacoma for the need of a full size truck, I've been in an 05 z71 and an 04 f150 fixing to be on motor number 3. I currently drive my 97 land cruiser daily and will be going back to a Toyota. No more domestic trucks!
Nuker

Postby Nuker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:00 am

My first truck that I bought with my own money was a Z71. Put 183k on it with no problems untill a bus load of non-swimmers in a station wagon decided to total it at a redlight. Not the first bit of trouble with it.

Bought another and put 243K on it. Not a minutes worth of trouble. Decided I would try a F150 with the 5.3

I currently have 206k on it. Only replace the heating/cooling control panel twice.

Now I didnt buy a truck cause I needed a car. but I dont put my truck in places it dont belong either. funny how that changed when I started buying gas, tires, etc.

Get what YOU want with YOUR money and the heck with what everyone else says. When they start paying the note, then drive what they suggest you drive.

Now put $2 with that advise and throw it away. That way you will be lost something...........

Return to “General Discussion Forum”