Constitutional Carry in Mississippi

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Constitutional Carry in Mississippi

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:15 am

There are two bills before the MS Legislature right now which are loosely termed "Constitutional Carry" laws. In essence, they would amend current MS law to allow people that are not otherwise prohibited from carrying a weapon (felon or convicted of a crime of violence or crazy) to carry concealed without a permit.

The people would be prohibited from carrying in the same places people with a normal gun permit would be prohibited from going. If you desire more protection in more places, you would still have to get a gun permit as well as an enhanced carry certificate. As to reciprocity with other states, I think you would still have to have a MS gun permit to enjoy reciprocity if you travel outside of MS.

Anyway, doesn't sound like a bad idea. However, it has apparently caused quite the stink between the organization lobbying for this and the most staunch pro-gun members of the Legislature.

Read here: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /24733835/

I suppose it goes to show you that there are zealots on both sides of the fence.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Re: Constitutional Carry in Mississippi

Postby fireplug » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:29 am

If it's not part of the Constitution, then it's not Constitutional. Just my $0.02
How do you like your Hope and Change?
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 am

We know that law breakers are not going to adhere to this law anyway - never have, never will. That said, I have always been of the mindset that MS laws straddle the line too much on this topic - either make everyone take a class to carry concealed (like most states) or make no one have to get a permit (which will impact reciprocity with other states when you travel).
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 am

Just wish I had a time machine where I could go back in time and kick the founders in the booty about the wording of the second amendment. No way they could have foreseen what this country was going to come to, but man they could have worded that part where there was absolutely no mistaking what they meant. To most people it is clear, but apparently not to everyone because we have states that have so many laws in regards to personal defense. Our state has made such a mess of it no one will ever completely understand it. And this bill will only make our convoluted laws even more confusing than they already are.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:22 am

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:51 am

you have the right to keep and bear arms. period.

you can wear a freaking a 44mag on a necklace if you want - its in the constitution.

If a state passes a law that is not in accordance with the constitution - then that's illegal it self.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 pm

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Here are two reposts from my Facebook Page on Constitutional Carry last week.

Part 1.
"Montana removes all speed limits in the state!!
As of July 2015 there will be no speed limits anywhere in the state of Montana. No speed limits on the highway, in towns, or school zones. In addition, there will no longer be any age restrictions on drivers and the state will not require drivers to posses a Montana Drivers License. While police officers will still be able to write tickets for reckless driving, they will not be able to cite the for speeding.

Critics of the law point to the dangers to public safety by speeders and inexperienced drivers as well as the drop in revenue to the state from speeding tickets.

Proponents of the law call it Constitutional Car-ing :D

Of course this new law is completely fabricated up by yours truly, but I wonder how many of didn't even finish reading the text before going to google to see if this was true. It's not, but maybe it got you to thinking about what would life be like in Montana if it were true. I am sure car wrecks and vehicle related deaths would go up due to inexperienced drivers racing around in cars with no speed limits. PADD (Parents Against Dangerous Driving) would be formed the following week and would start to pushing to ban cars..

I am sure most of agree this type of change would probably not be a good idea, yet many gun owners and 2A proponents that push Constitutional Carry want no permits, no fees, no training requirements,and no regulations. While that is EXACTLY what our founding fathers envisioned, it seems completely irresponsible to the non gun owners. Its like giving a 16 year old kid the keys to a 600HP Mustang GT in a school playground during recess and saying "Have Fun".

If you are like me, you think of yourself as an excellent driver, and every time I get out on the road I can count at least a handful of people that shouldn't be on the road EVER! That is the same for many gun owners and concealed carry permit holders. Most think they are completely safe and don't need any additional training to carry. But not matter how good a driver you are, you are likely at some point to get into an accident.

So if our Founding Fathers wanted Constitutional Carry, then why shouldn't we have it? Well, if we could go back the 1700's we would see that life was drastically different. Every person in the US at that time depended on a firearm to provide food for their table, to provide protection from both 2 legged and 4 legged creatures and people learned from an early age to safely use a firearm. There were hundreds of firearms instructors in every town, they were called Dad, Uncle, Grandpa, Big Brother and they worked with news shooters most likely every day.

Today, most gun owners may make it out to the range a few times a year if they are lucky, and many will never shoot more than a box of ammo their entire life. Shooting is a diminishing skill, which means if you don't use it you will loose it!!
So while I am a huge proponent of the 2nd Amendment I do think that gun owners should have some speed limits in the form of training. Very few people complain about the process for new drivers to get a license, or the costs, or the regulations, or speed limits imposed by the states they reside in. So one would assume that a similar process to get a license to carry concealed would be acceptable as well?

My first solo driving experience was at 10 years old when I drove the 15 miles from our farm in South Texas through two small towns on the way to my Grandmothers home, my Dad was carefully watching from the passenger seat. But I actually learn to shoot before I learned to drive but I was never out of reach from my instructors (Dad, and Uncle). Still to this day I make mistakes on road and I am still learning every time I go out on the range. On the road, I want other drivers around me to be adequately trained, and if I am ever in a life and death situation where I have have to pull my firearm, I want to make sure that not only am I adequately trained, but also anyone else that may pull their gun out as well.

As gun owners the future of the 2nd Amendment is in our hands. We the responsible, well trained, passionate gun owners have to battle the actions of irresponsible, careless and criminal gun crimes everyday. The more we are educated and well trained in our field the better we are to fight these battles.
"

Part 2

"So the last few days I have been talking about Constitutional Carry (CC). Many of you may think I am against it, but that is not the case. Five or 10 years ago if you would have asked me if CC was a good idea I would have gotten up on my soapbox, pounded my chest and screamed at the top of my lungs that the 2nd Amendment is my CC!! That all these rules and regulations are infringements on the 2A. And I still believe that! But after leading about 100 courses and close to 1,000 students I realized that most students do not have the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitude to adequately and efficiently use a handgun for self defense. In fact I can say that when I first started carrying I DID NOT posses these skills either. I grew up with a gun in my hand, and was shooting before I was driving and have shot just about every type of handgun and long gun there is. When I finally took my first firearms course, like many others, I was just there for the sticker. Irritated by the fact that I had to go through this whole process to have some bureaucrat sign off on a right granted to me by our Founding Fathers. But that first class taught me that I didn't know everything, that all my target shooting didn't really prepare me for self defense scenarios, and that got me thirsting for more knowledge. Things like,

- At what distance can you engage a threat, without missing and potentially injuring an innocent bystander?
- Do you know the limits of your abilities and your equipment?
- Do you have the right mindset to know that the gun is not the answer to all disagreements and if you decide to use it you may be putting you, your family and others in greater danger?
- Do you have the ability to control your emotions when angered to prevent escalating an encounter?
- And if you do have to use your firearm for self defense, can you efficiently use it, and correct malfunctions when your life is on the line.

Over the last 15-20 years we have made enormous strides changing carry laws!! So my fears about CC are not that the US will turn back into the Wild Wild West. My fears are that the action of a few untrained CC people will provide the ammunition necessary to for a dedicated anti gun group to use a small example of "how bad guns are". And that all the progress we have made over the past will be removed by the stroke of a pen.
Many Concealed Carry permit holders today, take the minimal training in order to meet the standards to carry in their given state. They strap on a gun, that they may have NEVER shot, and walk around with an attitude that they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof. It is the people with this irresponsible attitude and behavior that may be the biggest threat to our 2A rights, How do I know this? Because I used to be one of them
!!"

It is truly scary how many folks that carry, really don't know what they are doing..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:49 pm

I havent heard of 1 CC instructor who was in favor of this bill ! i wonder why?? Could it be $$$, surely not.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:38 pm

It's going to be like the Wild West all over again! Same argument was said by the low info folks about the clarification last year!! Look how that's worked out!! I've seen one person oc since!! A we have these f n signs all over doors from idiots scaring folks into thinking chaos will happen!! When it hasn't!

With Barry's sons getting more out of hand we should be on the offense and defense!
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:10 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:18 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:08 am

Smoke,, its not a perfect world. Are we going to stop stupid folks from driving. Are we going to stop folks from drinking alcohol and injuring themselves and others. Everything we do is a risk even playing in the snow! Guns have become the whipping post of folks who are a disease to this country while spewing they have the cure. People survived the real Wild West just fine. According to the FBI there are fewer gun owners today, I find that hard to believe but I did read that. I do think a generation of young people are being bombarded with more gov is the answer and knows what's best. And frankly I think this country is in big trouble. IMO the atf just tried to pull a fast one on ammo! And now this in ferguson!! Its going to be a ruff summer for the police and for us!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”