What do you do about Gout

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
420 racin
Veteran

What do you do about Gout

Postby 420 racin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:24 am

I am sure someone on here has had to deal with Gout. I think I might have it, going to the Dr. to see for sure, but my big toe started hurting like hell and what I have read points to Gout. Just curious as to what you can do to make it not come back, cause it hurts like hell and I can't barely walk.
Natty
Veteran

Re: What do you do about Gout

Postby Natty » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:49 am

My dad drinks 100% black cherry juice when he starts to get it. I know it's painful because he's tough as nails and could barely walk when he had it bad. Good luck.
Bill Collector
Duck South Addict

Postby Bill Collector » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:31 am

My dad used to rub WD-40 on his gout areas and said it really helped.
Rule # 1. No Fat Chicks
Rule # 2. Eager Beats Pretty
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:08 am

Flood yourself with water. When your water level, in your body goes up, the Acid level goes down. Common fact
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:19 am

I take medicine daily(allopurinol), but still have 1 or 2 flare ups per year. When I have a flare up I take Indomethacin and drink black cherry juice.

I know several that are able manage theirs with just the cherry juice.

It's not just red meat and alcohol. Everybody normally has a different trigger food. Mine is packaged process deli meat. I'll be hurting within a couples hours. One cousin's is shrimp, one uncles is pork butt, one aunts is tomatoes. My dad has never been able to pin point his. Write down everything you have ate for the lasts 24 hours everything every time you get a flare up. You will eventually see a pattern.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am

Been takin allopurinol for years don't have flare ups anymore. Eat lotta cherries when I can. Uric acid crystals in da blood collect in arthritic joints. I think there's a type of kidney stone the allopurinol prevents as a bonus.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Tics-Tica calls it the "Gouch."

Never had it - and don't want it. The Shingles was enough.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

The clap

Uloric is another med.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Eat 8-10 cherries every day when you feel flare ups coming on and lower your red meat intake.

Most gout medicines are pretty rough on the body.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Make sure they are bing cherries. Not all cherries work
curlytail
Veteran

Postby curlytail » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm

My trigger foods are asparagus & spinach, healthy stuff. Other items I have been told to stay away from are the sports drinks, I will only use Powerade Zero now. My brother found out the hard way with the sports drinks. He was playing in a tennis tournament one summer, ignored the first symptoms, kept drinking the Gatorade/Powerade, he could not stand for a sheet to touch his toe that night!! The Black Cherry Juice has worked for me if I start quick enough.
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Hurts like H--LL, first time I got it was a few years ago, just before I was finally (after about the 3rd) week of bow season able to go, I was going bow hunting no matter what, Friday morning tie started hurting, took 2 Advil, about 3:00 was leaving for camp took 2 more got to camp, toe still hurting, walked a little, checked some white oaks, hung my stand, back to camp, are supper, took 2 more Advil and went to bed, got up next morning, felt better, got in the tree with laccrose boots on, about 9:00 the Advil, quite working and I was 20 feet up a tree, managed to get down and hobble to my golf cart, went to MEA, they gave me a decadron (sp) shot and some other stuff, it settled down after a day or so, my Dad used to get it and I thought there was no way it could hurt like he described, I WAS BAD WRONG, that crap hurts like nothing else, feels like broken glass in the big toe, since then I've had the medicine for flar ups, when I feel it coming on, I drink A LOT of water trying to flush it, haven't had a bad episode in about a year, but I feel you pain!!! Can't walk on it, drink plenty of water, I think what causes it (in me) is asparagus and beef, it's some BAD stuff, can't do anything with it, VERY painful, Dr. said a big part is that it's hereditary, drink water, can't hurt!
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am

Thaks guys, Dr said thats what it is, I got some anti-inflamatory pills or something, and i can already walk, hell I can dance a jig now. Yeah it hurts like crazy, I told my wife if we couldn't fix it, I was gonna amputate my toe or even my foot if I had to! I aint figured out what it is that makes it flare up. Never had any problems with it nor anybody in my family had it twice now in three weeks. I'm gonna try to narrow it down to whatever it is cause I don't want this to happen anymore.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Nobody owes you anything.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”