Turkey Hunting Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Re: Turkey Hunting Question

Postby BIG TIMBER » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Shotgun, if you can't call em, creep em
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 pm

I leave the mouth calls and decoys at home. A lynch box call and jet slate, a shotgun, shells, mask, gloves.
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:34 pm

ransco33
Veteran

Postby ransco33 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:53 pm

greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Everything that goes in my vest stays there. Nothing gets taken out unless it needs replacement or repair.

Hunting in the hills (or anywhere for that matter ), you better have a bottle of water. Other than the essentials for hunting, I never leave without TP. If I do, then I must shift focus from the hunt, to focusing on which article of clothing is of least importance. Factors I mull over during this process are included but not limited to: sentimental value, amount of usage, cost, durability, debris removal capability, sharpness of my knife (goes back to durability), noticeability ( There was one morning hunt where I left wearing two shirts, a light jacket and thick wool socks with a zest for life, and I returned shirtless with blisters on my feet and no dignity in my soul because of Old Milwaukee and Wing Zone the night before.) Also factored in are ergonomics and the possibility of contamination. As you can imagine, this mental anguish severly detracts from my odds of having a successful hunt, because I must shift my thought process from the turkey... to the terd. It's because I KNOW that the bakery is cooking up hot loaves, fresh and ready for the market in about "2 hills over yonder way." Don't judge me just because there ain't a 40 acre block of woods in MS or TN that I haven't done some paper work on.

In every pack, as a matter recourse, I put a small piece of pine fatwood and a box of matches with it. I keep them in the same dry box and switch it over to packs. During turkey season, on public land, I usually carry a brown paper sack with the matches and a crowbar. That way, if some sorrier-n-chalky dawg .... s.o.b. cuts me off from a bird, I can break open the check in box and get his address. I then use the brown sack to... well you know.

I always carry a flashlight too.

I thought about using my small backpack and a gobbler lounge one time. I actually switched over from a single-strap blind bag to a backpack because of a pinched nerve in my shoulder. What I found was that the human inside of me (or what was left from the Old Milwaukee episode) wanted to take half of my gear collection like i was going to Syria for a month of battling ISIS, instead of the swamp. I think if your goal is to simplify things, you'll find that a not-so-simple pack makes the human in you want to put some "thing" in that empty pocket. If simplification is the goal, be sure to get a simple pack. If the problem with over stuffing all of those pockets is encountered, I recommend doing it with blue shop towels and a copy of the New Testament.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Attachments
thatboygood.jpg
thatboygood.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 427 times
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”