Go Pro

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JoHo
Veteran

Go Pro

Postby JoHo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:52 am

I'm looking at getting a Go Pro and wanted some feedback on which one to get. Is the Hero 4 that much better than the 3 or 2? Must have accessories? Any other first hand info would be great.

Thanks
Proverbs 3:5-6

Magnolia Madison Cay- "Maddie"
HR Rogue River Raffle Tickette - "Tickette"
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Re: Go Pro

Postby chevy01234 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 pm

I love the 4, the LCD screen on the back is great when trying to take still pictures. The 3's are nice too though. As far as accessories, get extra batteries! There are more mounting options than you can fathom as well.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:32 pm

love my 4...don't have any experience with older ones to compare though.
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Got a Hero 4 Black for Christmas. Never used any of the others. Picture quality is amazing but as had been said, get extra batteries. Battery life is terrible when using the app to control the camera. I've heard it's better with the remote but they don't come with the 4's. There are tons of accessories for them and most can be found for cheaper on Amazon.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm

I got the GoPro 3+ Black last summer. Used it wade fishing and duck hunting this year. I uploaded my videos to youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/auisbest

I shoot most everything in 1080p and 60fps (frames per second) . That seems to be a good all-around setting. I use the head mount all the time because it keeps your hands free and captures everything you are looking at. You gotta tilt the camera a bit on your head so it is not pointing up in the air too much.

I would not spend the money on the GoPro sportsman’s mount (gun/fishing rod mount). The head mount does just fine and gets you spotting the ducks/fish before the shot/hook set. I have the bike mount and some other mounts but rarely use them. I leave the camera on and on my head mount while hunting and just reach up and cut it on/off to get short clips of decoying/shooting and dog retrieving. I only have one GoPro camera. I guess the dog mount would be neat but if you only have one camera it would seem to get old trying to get different angles/shots from the dog or maybe decoy attachment. Head mount is the best because it just captures it all as you see it. You do need to get close to the stuff that you want to shoot because the GoPro 3+ doesn't have a zoom. The camera has many other features that I have not used. I want to try the time-lapse stuff soon.

The app control and remote control seem lame to me unless you have some specific purpose for them. You must get close to what you want to shoot so I rarely use the app or remote control. I have a mount stuck to the back of a decoy and I use the remote to turn it on as the decoy is facing back to the duck pit/blind but you only get the one angle. I think the different mounts are mostly for those that want more cameras and more angles captured.

I also use GoPro Studio 2.0 to edit the video clips. You can do some great effects like slow motion with Studio 2.0 and it is free download. Go check out some of my vids on the link.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19 pm

I got a Garmin Virb Elite for Christmas. You can get the iPhone app and control the camera with your phone. Video playback shows speed, altitude, direction, and your track on Google maps. Pretty neat camera and will mount on all of the go pro mounts.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 am

Apple is supposedly working on a "go-pro killer" camera system..i'm interested to see it.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:42 am

champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:30 am

I'm wanting a 4 badly but want to see what Apple comes up with first
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”