MDWFP selling list of hunters/guns with address

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
woody
Veteran

MDWFP selling list of hunters/guns with address

Postby woody » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 am

Did anyone see this article? Is this real? Appearently the Wildlife Dept is selling a list of people who have hunting licenses which would give the name and address.

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/for-o ... with-guns/
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: MDWFP selling list of hunters/guns with address

Postby deltadukman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:00 am

Are you f'ing kidding me? SteveA, Dr. Polles, whoever, this chit needs to not be leaked out. And we need confirmation that its not happening.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:08 am

I don't believe you can stop it from happening by law. All one has to do is issue a FOIA request.
Peewee
Up2Early
Veteran

Postby Up2Early » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:24 pm

Then I would like a list of all persons and entities who have received this information.
SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Looked at that page and saw the "sign the petition", and.....it asks for your name and address...can the FOIA not be invoked to get the list of people who signed the petition? Would the information not be one in the same at that point? Classic damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Does every state make this information available? Effed up if so...
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:53 pm

And the worst part is the screwed up state of Mississippi has decided to eliminate your ability to use a PO Box on your drivers license which would've been the only address visible on a hunting license.

Back when Mississippi took Social Security numbers off of your drivers license they actually encouraged you to use a PO Box for your address. Now for whatever unbelievable reason that's not even an option.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:09 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok, the petition is for a bill that would remove the list then......
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 pm

That's when I had to change mine to a physical address as well, when I got the CCP. Buying a gun and all I had to do was go out to my vehicle and get a copy of a license plate registration. I just happen to have a boat trailer tag with my physical address on it at the time.

If The department has such a hard on for money I guarantee you they would make more if they created an option where we could pay an extra $10 to keep our information private rather than make this list so easily obtainable by the few people who might actually look for it.

This really P..... me off
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:13 am

How much you wanna bet state legislature license holders and MDWFP staff license holders' names and addresses aren't on that list?
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:13 am

Glad my last name doesn't start with A.... gives me a little time to beef up security! :lol:

Hell I'd pay $145 to get my name off the list... might just start hunting without a license if this happens, can't trust anyone to keep your info private and out of the hands of criminals or libtards whatever.
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
TurkeyHunter27
Regular

Postby TurkeyHunter27 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:16 am

This is a messed up world and a messed up time we are living in.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:03 am

It's an FOIA issue and I may be wrong but I'm betting there's nothing the State can do about it. One of the MSDUCKS legal eagles pipe in but if the legislature did pass a bill that MDWFP records can't be accessed, would some news agency or other entity be able to take it to Federal court. I think it's not that it is a way for someone to find out who has a gun. It just happens to be that most people who have a hunting and/or fishing license in the state has a gun. It's possible for someone to only bow hunt and fish and not have a gun at all. That would a very small number of people on that list but it's possible. I've always wondered how some of these outdoor magazines and sporting goods dealers found me when I haven't had any dealings with them. I guess I now know they just get a list of everybody with a hunting and fishing license.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:18 am

Even if there's nothing that can be done to prevent someone from requesting the information, I don't think the department should make it so easy to obtain. It needs to be the old fashion, pain in the butt, mail it in, certified letter request, bureaucratic nightmare that is our government to deal with. A difficult process might discourage many such requests?

I'm getting discouraged just thinking about it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”