Rate The Season - 2014-15 Edition

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: Rate The Season - 2014-15 Edition

Postby SWAG » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:11 am

If I had hunted as much as my son, would be a solid 10. Besides the 2-3 day freeze and maybe a small let down week before Christmas, his group of "young adults" have had a season to remember. I just did not get to go as much as I would have liked or maybe since I do not have to help them set-up and such anymore I got lazy a few days. First 3 weeks were stellar, small let-down, then new birds again, freeze, and then a strong finish. Great mallard/gadwall/squealer 5 limit hunt to start the year and I saw more ducks at 5:25 yesterday afternoon than I have seen in a long time. Looked like mosquitoes. Have cell phone video but no idea how to upload from a phone :lol: Probably took a lot more pictures of harvest this season too but again I am not tech savy. Ducks liked the brakes for the first half a lot and after the freeze they seemed to enjoy the sunny days sitting in the Tupelo and cypress. I do love hunting when you can lean on one tree and hang your gun in another. The small comforts mean more and more. Fantastic fellowship and these "young adults" enthusiasm keeps things exciting at all times. I would give it an 8.
Are we gonna get wet?
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:10 pm

slow year. even an 8 ball would still be around by sunday am!!
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
TurkeyHunter27
Regular

Postby TurkeyHunter27 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:15 pm

5 on the hunting.

Could have been alot better or alot worse without too much trouble.

-12 on the shooting. I dont know the reason why, but I have never shot so bad for a season as a far back as i can remember. My day in day out hunting partner, who I've hunted with all of my life, was in the same boat as me. Bad bad year on shell conservation, which means we shot alot, which means we could have AND SHOULD HAVE easily killed more ducks. I know you can say that for most any season but this year was exceptionally bad for us. Based on what we SHOULD have killed i guess I may be selling the hunting a little short, but it all plays in together.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:02 pm

a solid 3.5 for me. my place sucked, but got invited to a couple more places where I had a few pretty good hunts so that 3.5 could probably be upgraded some.

camp life was solid as usual! I'll give it a 9.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
JMCMILLIN
Veteran

Postby JMCMILLIN » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:41 pm

3 for us this year ---- last year 9
Life is tough....it's even tougher if you are stupid - John Wayne
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Been duck hunting 40 yrs............................worst season ever and i can't even remember a year that was a close second!!!!
Only had 5 real good hunts out of MANY......................
I give it a solid (-)1.0
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:57 pm

First 3/4 of the season, a 1, last two weeks, a solid 8. Last two weeks weren't perfect but very good.
work hard, play hard
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Had the best year I have ever had. Lots of hunts with good people. My son got his first duck. Got a few ducks to get to Mr. Patt again. Ducks were consistent all year for me. Start to finish
Work is for a man who can't fish
Caller1
Duck South Addict

Postby Caller1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Very surprised at the scores. Far from the worst of years. Only a couple of days in which I didnt see a bunch of birds....not that they always wanted to work though. Very good December. @8. January was just complicated by shallow flooded, frozen fields for too long. Then birds just got "wise". @6.
Sound familiar?
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.- Karl Marx
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:54 am

Im gonna give it a 10. Not on amount of birds killed but on good times, friends, and the ability to go whenever there are ducks. I don't deer hunt so I enjoyed the sunrises, new spots, and old ones. Didn't kill as many as last couple of years but had some really good hunts. Watching my dog, mallards in cypress, and blue bird days are good for my soul. Cant wait til next year.
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:26 am

Started at 10 and quickly plummeted. First year in a while where I hunted Arkansas primarily. There was so little water, it made it extremely challenging trying to hunt the woods. Several WMA's didn't have water, or only a portion of them did. That made pressure very heavy on the places with water. I was super pumped to hunt the MS river this year, and it was a bust. Only a 5 day stretch when it got above 10'.

First turkey I shoot this year, I may shoot twice to take out my frustration.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Well over half of my hunts this year were limits, great time at Bullpen, day after Bullpen, Arkie opener, and taking my 4 year old on his first two duck hunts I'd say a solid 8-9 this year. Didn't hunt but about a dozen days though so in that aspect it sucked but when I did get to go it was always a good hunt.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm

deer hunting, 10. deer don't migrate.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”