UPS question regarding the declared value of package

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
woody
Veteran

UPS question regarding the declared value of package

Postby woody » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 am

I am having something shipped 2-day air that is worth about $3500-4000. It cannot be damaged unless there is a severe mishandling of the package. However, declaring that value will jack the price of shipping up to around $200, instead of under $100 if no value is claimed. My understanding is that the declared value is in case the package is damaged, and not necessarily that it will get lost. That UPS pretty much guarantees that the package will get to its destination, but you can declare a value in case of damage in route to destination. Am I off base here or does that sound right.?
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: UPS question regarding the declared value of package

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:17 am

I believe UPS packages are insured for $100 automatically. If you don't declare a higher value (and pay a higher shipping cost) they'll only cover up to the minimum insured value.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:55 am

Should it fall out of the truck, you'll be out $3400 - $3900.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:27 am

"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:39 am

I'd call it a bet rather than an investment....

Now, why should I have to insure something against damage or loss from a company I am ,for all things considered, "Hiring", to transport my goods and trusting them while its in their care, custody, and control is beyond me. Are they not responsible? Thats like a mechanic shop keeping your vehicle for repair, and their mishandling causes it to get wrecked, and its not their fault?
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:52 am

I see UPSs side of it. Accidents happen, no matter how careful you are, when you're moving that many packages.

Therefore, it costs more to move expensive things if you have to pay for those things when they break. It's either charge everyone more, or charge according to what the package costs to move.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 am

Work a summer in a UPS sort facility, and you'll see just how "careful" your packages are handled. The smaller and bigger it is, the harder it is handled.
I loaded four of the full sized 18 wheeler trailers per night headed to New Orleans. It was all about speed.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 am

edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:24 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:32 am

woody
Veteran

Postby woody » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:08 pm

I understand the damage part and having to pay more, but the part that gets me is the package being lost. Why should I have to pay more for a more valuable package to insure that it will not get lost? Do higher value packages get lost more often? Whether I ship a $100 package vs. a $1000 package, isn't it the service of guaranteeing my package will get to its intended destination what I am originally paying for?
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:30 pm

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 pm

They look at damage and loss the same way. Because if either one happens, they have to pay the same amount to you.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:35 pm

Im a manager for UPS, currently looking for another job.
Your envelope you mail will get the same treatment as the 5k product your shipping.
only 1 way to protect it... you better follow all guidelines to packae requirement to a T or it will not be covered period. If it says you need 3in of padding, itll be measured .
PM me and I will be glad to help you anyway I can.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:37 pm

FedEx or UPS, either way those trucks don't always get where they are supposed to. Insure the package for what it is worth or risk losing some $$$.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/nov ... lzura-chp/

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breakin ... nd_in.html

Return to “General Discussion Forum”