Hearing protection

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jmh600
Veteran

Hearing protection

Postby jmh600 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:50 am

Tired of my ears constantly ringing... I have tried the foam ear buds many many times but I always snatch them out bc I can't hear what my calling sounds like and I can't stand shooting with the big noise canceling muffs on my ears. What are y'all using?
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Re: Hearing protection

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:58 am

http://www.westone.com/defendear/media/ ... 3b0_XL.jpg

I use these. They have interchangeable filters that allows you to choose how much you hear. I use them for shooting, concerts, working with power tools. Love them.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
woody
Veteran

Postby woody » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Tried some Howard Leight Impact Electronic ear muffs this weekend. They are pretty legit. Just ordered a pair. work perfect for bird hunting, calling, and socializing in the duck hole, but still provide ear protection. Only about $70 I think
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:25 pm

I bought 2 pair of EarPro by Surefire, go to www.surefire.com/products @ 800-828-8809, Sonic Defenders, model no. EP3-M, and Discount Hunting & Fishing, 2 years ago, one for me and one for my son, as far as ear plug go they were what I thought pretty expensive, like $12-$15 dollars a pair, but not nearly as much as what other stuff like that costs, my son list his pair but they are very comfortable and I hear everything till guns go off, I tried to buy some more and they didn't have them, once you put them it, you don't know there in, but I like them a lot, No they're probably not the high end hearing protection but they work well
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:31 pm

http://espamerica.com/shop-now/

I've had a pair of Elite Analogs since 2005. They were about half the price they are now.....but every couple of years, I have sent them back for repair at the tune of $100-$150 a pop......so I might as well have paid current price for them. Jack always sends me a new case and 10 batteries in the deal......just to pacify me. :roll:

I use them on the clays fields and for hunting. I also use them for scouting (no need in checking-out every spot......just turn the volume up and listen for a while).

They allow you to carry-on normal conversation and filter-out harmful decibel levels. I HAVE to have them so Anne can communicate with me in the duck blind...especially when ducks appear or are working and I have to quit watching them for one reason or another.

They may not be for everybody, but I'm reasonably satisfied with them.....other than the price and periodic out-of-warranty repair costs. Service turn-around (including shipping both ways) is normally one week.

'Wish I'd gotten them 30 years ago. Hearing aids run $4000.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replies.. Anybody know of anything else?
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:59 am

I have used EAR and ESP digital units. They don't do well in rain and have constant warranty issues. They clip your duck calling, but you will get used to it. They DO really protect your ears.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:41 pm

.....plus it's hard to put batteries in them and get'em in your ears in the dark, with brittle-textured, duck-seasoned fingers.........and don't float, either...... :lol: (that was one of the 'non-warranty' trips back to Boulder, CO). :mrgreen:
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:18 pm

I'll throw another vote for the Surefire Sonic Defenders. Cheap at less than $20 and they work well. The newer version with foam inserts are more comfortable than the ones with rings on them. -J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
72broncojp
Veteran

Postby 72broncojp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm on my second Walkers Game Ear. First one lasted 6 or 7 years.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”