Question about scrapping cars etc

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Question about scrapping cars etc

Postby duckkiller » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Ok guys long story short my parents lost their house in the storms back in April, after hunting season I'm going to be cleanin up the property and besides scrapping all kinds of tin and parts of the old shop we have an old truck and tractor that I'm going to scrap as well. Really just hoping to get enough money to cover the cost of renting a mini ex to keep from trailering mine all the way from Alabama over there for a week. Any idea what the going rate on scrap is and also do I need title etc to scrap the truck or tractor? We had them before but after the storm who knows where the winds took them.
Life is to short to only fish on weekends
CBRADGO
Veteran

Re: Question about scrapping cars etc

Postby CBRADGO » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Scrap is around $325/ton right now and you'll need a title or proof of ownership before they will do business. Call a reputable scrap yard and ask them what your best option is in regards to no title...
"I stay away from that forum. It turns people into idiots and the ones who are idiots to start with are unbearable..."

-Blackduck
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 pm

What kind of tractor is it?
I know that old Ford 8Ns are bringing about $250 because it is considered "torchable" (i think is the term). They can't crush it, it has to be torched to be broken down, making it less valuable.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 pm

It's a old Mitsubishi it's like 18-20 hp very small just tired of it being in the way. I don't figure I'll get much of anything for any of it but like I said just trying to help the parents out where I can.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:38 am

Go to courthouse and file paperwork for a lost title replacement.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:39 am

I think there are some different variables to whether or not you have to have a title, I hauled some scrap when the price was real high a few yrs ago. Seems like I heard you didn't always have to have a title. Like someone else has said call the local scrap yard and ask.
HR Reid's Shasta Daisy

aka Choclabs
BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:39 am

I think there are some different variables to whether or not you have to have a title, I hauled some scrap when the price was real high a few yrs ago. Seems like I heard you didn't always have to have a title. Like someone else has said call the local scrap yard and ask.
HR Reid's Shasta Daisy

aka Choclabs
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 pm

As long as the vehicle is 10 yrs old or older you don't need title.. But what ever you gona do you better be getting it done quick cause the price is fixing to fall big time.. I have a client that owns 4 scrap yards and he said they are cleaning out yard at quick as the can of all inventory they are sitting on..
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:23 pm

duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for all the info guys hopefully I'll get started on the scrapping part next weekend. As far as the craigslist commen the tractor is a pos that needs lots of work, I bought a bigger rig after the storm and this one really isn't worth much more than scrap needs hydro work tires, and hasn't been cranked in 10 years so I don't really feel comfortable selling it to anyone without them knowin exactly what it is
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 am

there is someone out there that will be happy to come get it for scrap cost. I promise.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 am

Speaking in general here as I've sold vehicles for scrap here. I had to remove all the tires and fuel tank before the scrap yard would take it. I didn't have to show proof of ownership or title. I recently sold an old square baler for scrap and had to remove the tires off it before the scrap yard would take it. I was able to tow it to the scrap yard and they picked it up with the excavator for me to remove the tires.

The $325/ton that was spoken of earlier is likely Prep Steel price and not cars.

An option for the car is are there any Pull-a-Part or Pick-n-Pull type junkyards around you? They do buy vehicles.

If I was closer I would be interested in the little tractor as another project.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 am

I just scraped a truck, a 1998 Z71 that was wrecked. I didn't have to have a title (I did have it though), didn't have to remove the tires, and I shot a hole in the gas tank, didn't have to remove it, just had to have a hole in it so they knew it was empty. Around here it is going $.10-$.11 per pound. I just toke a load of plain ole junk from around the house and a lawnmower the other day.

As far as the get somebody to come get it. Call one of those guys that says "I buy junk cars" and they will come get it from you and hual it off and do everything. I had a 78 winnebago at my house not long ago, called one of those guys, he came out, and hualed it off, paid me $350. Now he got almost $800 for it at the scrap yard, but he had to demo the inside and hual it up there, I never put my beer down and made $350 and got it gone....Those guys will come get it from you and pay you on the spot a little bit of cash.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:25 am

duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks guys! I'll put the tractor on there next week when I get some pictures

Return to “General Discussion Forum”