Draw hunt observations

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Draw hunt observations

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:29 am

I have been totally against the draw system since implemented. I haven’t been since they started this BS. I decided against my better judgment to check it out with a friend of mine since birds and water was scarce where I do the majority of my hunting. Howard Miller was the location where we were "the lucky winners". Show up and I see what I expected...duck call necklaces, lots of brand new shiny corn stalk camo, flat billed hats, and face paint and waders at 5am. The weather was hot and I wasn’t expecting much as far as birds but there was a front moving in so I was cautiously optimistic. They're wasn’t even as many as I didn’t think there would be. Now, you get to pick what square you can go set up in. We made our best shot and out we struck. Habitat looks great. But having some yahoos on every 40 acre fields with their set up and spinners and other gadgetry must be a sight for the birds flying over. We set up in the middle of our "square". We had Phil Robertson to our left and John Stephens to our right and it sounded like the stage in Stuttgart every time something would fly...even when there was nothing that could be seen. Yahoos on the right heard us shoot a few times and moved all the way across their "square" to the boundary line and started teaching duck call lessons. We could see them, they us, and they didn’t care. The other "Crew", I think they had a sticker on their truck that defined their mafia status or some such was up hanging out and "chillin" and telling a few what appeared to be funny stories, all day long when they weren’t calling at birds that weren’t there. They were hanging out and telling stories when the few groups that actually flew came over. All in all it is 110% what I expected, and more. I chalked it up for what it is, an "opportunity" to say you went duck hunting and maybe shoot a few birds if there were more(no fault of anyone) or sans the yahoos. I will take my ball and go home and realize it aint for me. Same was said for another group who tried another spot and was told the drawn hunters and standbys have the same chance to have pick of the draw. I hope someone somewhere realizes these duck parks are pushing away a lot of people from MS public land wma's and introducing a whole new "crew or mafia" to the scene.

BTW…if you’re going through the effort to paint your face, why have a lanyard full of highlighter colored duck calls, much less a bright colored duck whistle necklace? Just an observation from a guy who might be confused on what’s hip.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Re: Draw hunt observations

Postby LawDawg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:55 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thank you, Vickers.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:58 am

Quit being so negative....that was a privilege to hunt some of the premier public land in the country </sarcasm>

Unfortunately it's even happening at the non-draw places too. PSA for the yahoos we encountered last time as public place if you can hear someone talking through the buck brush you may be setting up too close.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:00 pm

I have seen all this first hand..Probably hunting with you....It's a shame. It really is

Chad
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:07 pm

But the worst part is think how bad it would be now if it was still wide open at places that are a draw. Last time I went to one of those places there over 50 groups signed up. Could you imagine 50 plus groups all trying to hunt that place and the majority of them piled up on the supposed "X"??? It's bad like it is with people creeping over to the edges to get closer to your spot and just generally piling up on each other. It would only be worse. There are simply more people duck hunting these days it seems and the same amount of land for them to hunt on. Mantra of the old school public land hunter is to just go further than the crowd and hope for the best.
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Mr. deltadukman - if that is your real name, either:

1) you aren't very smart
2) you didn't read the pre-hunt manual and followup staff explanation of how said hunt's to go down OR
D) you aren't very smart

it is my clear understanding that you are to feel nearly orgasmic at the opportunity to get to hunt one of these fine, state draw-run establishments per skection 12, addendum 2.2, paragraph 8 of said manual. i'm calling my congressman to insure that you, you illiterate, little man, will NEVER get drawn again. You sir, are clearly a ne'er-do-well of ill intent.

gator
Last edited by gator on Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:40 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Mr. Gator, sir, I was awaiting your response and jackassery as well as an obligitory "I told yall"....btw answer your dang phone and you may get an invite, not on "public" land per se.

Its kind of like midget wrasslin....you kinda of know whats about to happen...and you fight the urge for so long, then you get to the point to where you say "shove it, lets go"...and when its all over you kick yourself and say "why didn't I stay in bed this morning".
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Every time I start wondering about the high cost of hunting access on private ground, I read a post like this and understand why I do so....because it's worth it!
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:14 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Prime example of why I do not hunt on da gubment!
I do not kill limits on every hunt or every other hunt for that matter on a consistsnt basis as I hunt in the South Delta, but for the most part, the worst crap I have to put up with is someone farting too loud while ducks are working or being downwind of said farter.

I'm not saying I'll never do it, but right now, I'm blessed that I do not have to hunt the gubment.

I think it sucks for the folks that have done it for a long time & it's turned into the circus that Vickers described. Granted, I know he "stretched" the story a little, but still..........damn!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:56 pm

gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:18 pm

HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Vickers please tell us you got pics of the Poo Faces for the collogue. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:28 pm

one or two. Its all fun and games until your flash goes off.... :D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”