Rob Roberts or Rhino gun work?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Trappey
Veteran

Rob Roberts or Rhino gun work?

Postby Trappey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Got a sx3 I want to get worked on for turkey season after I check a Briley choke that came with it. Was going to send it to rhino but have heard good stuff about rob Roberts turkey gun work. Any info?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Rob Roberts or Rhino gun work?

Postby teul2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:20 pm

I have read great reviews of Ron over on the Refuge. I'd love to send him a gun to work over (forcing cone work mostly). Just haven't made it a priority.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:24 pm

He did barrel work and a choke for my SBE1 and it shoots great. He lengthen my forcing cone, ported the top of the barrel, and a choke. The first choke he sent was way to tight(scared I would miss) so he sent me another one to try. The porting is great...almost no recoil at all. The recoil on my SBE1 is so minimum.... it will not eject most 3' shells and will hang up on some 3.5'' duck loads, but it works great on 3.5' turkey loads. With this setup....90-95% of my pellets are inside a pie plate at 40 yards.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Avoid Rhino like the plague.

Rich Cole, Rob Roberts, Angleport all do good work. Rich does not make chokes, but is otherwise one of the best all around gunsmiths in the US. Briley does good work, but you will WAIT for it.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:58 pm

quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:02 pm

I will vouch for Rob he has it down to a science. He has worked on most all mine and my hunting buddies guns. From Benelli's to my SX3. Done a great job on all of them.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
cmooredeer

Postby cmooredeer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 am

I had the the same thought last year with my x3, but a friend of mine told me about Sumtoy custom chokes. William really knows his stuff and guaranteed my satisfaction. I was amazed at the performance vs my previous choke. Got 338 pellets in 10" circle at 40 yds shooting 3.5 Nitro 4X5X7. Second place were the winchester XR 6's at 294. Note that these are counts of shooting at a 10" circle and not moving the circle around to get max count.
Trappey
Veteran

Postby Trappey » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Does porting the barrel make that significant of a difference? And what bad happened w rhino to avoid them? Had good luck out of another fun w a rhino choke.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 am

my 835 was ported. tbh i couldn't tell much of a difference. but then again, i didn't have any scientific evidence of it, other than it still kicked like a rented mule when i shot it at a target

Return to “General Discussion Forum”