Mud motors

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
slave601
Veteran

Mud motors

Postby slave601 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Plan on buying a 15 48 flat bottom new or a 16 52 flat bottom from a buddy of mine and I can't decide what brand of mud motor I want to put on it. My 3 choices are pro drive, gator tail or mud buddy. Any of yall care to chime in on yalls opinions on these 3 brands? I'm leaning toward mudbuddy for some reason. Any info and input would be appreciated.
IF YOU POUR IT OUT, THEY WILL COME
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: Mud motors

Postby Anatidae » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:41 am

The only brand I've had experience with is Mud Buddy. My wife & I settled on a 45 HD Mag Sport. It was the best choice we could've made at the time because it was their most reliable 'modded' motor they offered........probably still is, for the money.

If you are not mechanically inclined - I would NOT recommend a modded motor. You don't really need one for the hulls you mentioned. Best way I can describe mine is 'temperamental'.

If you want a motor that you can just get in the boat and 'go'......I would recommend the GTR particularly if you want reverse. Otherwise a GT, or 23 or 35 HD Sport will give you reliable service without reverse.

I would not even consider a V or H motor for at least another 2 years.

'Cupnglide' has a PD that he's happy with. You might PM him for a review.

Different brands have their advantages & disadvantages but I can only tell you about our experience with MB and our dealer/service/support.

It took me a while to gain confidence in my motor and in my ability to troubleshoot problems. Just the nature of the beast.

I'd also say - Your dealer and service guy (what kind of support you're going to get) are your most important choices when deciding on a brand.

Are the flat bottom hulls you're considering 'ribbed' or 'slick'? What brand are they? Right-off I'm thinking 23 HD or even a longtail might suit you if hull is ribbed and relatively light.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”