How Is Your Duck Season So Far?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
khound22
Veteran

Re: How Is Your Duck Season So Far?

Postby khound22 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:17 am

From what I have seen there are VERY few ducks in North delta. I live in Desoto Co and am on the road every day in the northwest MS area and haven't seen the ducks like I usually do. Neither have any of my huntin buddies......
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 am

Has anyone else noticed an increased number of ducks in ditches right next to the road this year? I tell you, on more than one occasion those guys have saved me from going home empty handed... taking those hunts into account, I'd say this year has been above average for me in the north delta.
Josh Lantrip
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:55 pm

We've experienced something a little different this year.

Since the ducks are making themselves scarce, you sitll go because you never know what's going to show-up from day to day......and what's going to 'drop-in'.

Today was the third time we've worked honkers into the timber. The first two times, we didn't even have any decoys out. And there was another day that 2 groups ofo 12-15 birds swung by to take a look......the 2nd group made 3 passes over the boat and couldn't see what was 'calling'. I quit working them in hopes that we'd get another chance to work'em in close....over decoys.

This morning, we had 2 groups work about 3/4 mile away and I quit calling for a second, to switch-out to BB's. When I got back on the call, I couldn't pull them to us.......they'd already made up their mind.

The third group ended-up being a pair. I heard them a long way off and started calling and stayed on it 'til I saw them coming over the trees in a 'straight-on' approach toward the boat blind. They were 'bowed-up' and dropping hard, keying on the pair of honker decoys we put-out now. That's what you get-up at 3:30 every day for, right there. About 40 yds out they pitched hard to our right instead of slightly left (where the decoys were) and we had to take the shot at about 28yds before they put some cypress trees between us.

I figured......a pair landing too close to another pair is a confrontational move, even at this time of year.......thus the reason they pitched away from the decoys. So, we'll either put-out a few more honkers or leave well-enough alone and see what happens.

A 'working' dog is a 'Happy' dog.

'Can't wait for tomorrow. If those other 2 groups work the same area a couple of days in a row, we'll try a set-up over there and see if we can keep adding to the 'timber' honker tally. They work a lot better than gadwalls. :mrgreen:

Like everybody else though, I'll be anxiously awaiting a flight of big ducks to liven things up a bit. Until then - honkers save the day. :wink:
Last edited by Anatidae on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Just great, when does BassPro open? Now I got goose floaters in the boat. I finally stopped using the dang things 'cause they take up to much room. But since the ducks are scarce..........hmmmmm.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:16 am

Ive got to where i take at least 3 with me now.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Well, how was it after the weekend? I didn't go, but my friends that did were not greeted with much luck.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:47 pm

I'd say a strong 8. Been killing mallards in our woods for two weeks now.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 pm

It would be a 0 for myself...all my buds were slaying them opening week. The following week my future stepson and I went to Arkansas, his boat broke down at the launch first morning , we walked in, fired one shot...missed and the second morning the front hub went out after I suffered from a bout of Montezuma revenge..and lost my wallet during said episode. . on the way to our spot...spent the next 7.5 hours with rented tools from Auto zone getting said hub which is drove 7 hrs home, got back in town at 3am...at work at 7 am....

Haven't had a free weekend off since
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:54 am

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:47 pm

S-H-T-T-Y
work hard, play hard
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Poop!
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Ho-ho-rendous. Sure hope it picks up.
Never assume.
maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:44 pm

It's a good thing they moved the woody limit up to 3...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”