ADS- shotgun reloading cost

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

ADS- shotgun reloading cost

Postby matador1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:29 am

Me and two kids shooting 20 gauges squirrel hunting is getting expensive! Not unusual to shoot 4-6 boxes a hunt if it's good. Shooting high brass number 5s. Anyone with any experience that can tell me an estimate of what the savings would be per load so I can figure out if the equipment is worth it?
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: ADS- shotgun reloading cost

Postby Anatidae » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:04 pm

I did the math years ago and you had to load 1000 rounds (2 500 round cases of shells) to pay for the equipment.

But that was before components went out of sight, before haz-mat fees on shipping, and buying everything in bulk. That was also before MEC Grabbers when to almost $400.

I know buying in bulk still helps, but loaded ammo is almost as cheap as reloading (lead loads).

I used to shoot 10K targets a year for 3-4 years back in the late 90's, and you could actually save money loading your own........or in my case, shoot twice as many shells for the same amount of money - because you alloted a certain amount of money for your habit.

Now, I can only justify loading my own lead loads because I still have components (mainly wads) that I bought buy the 5000, and have 3 presses set-up for different loads or gauges.

With powder in short supply, it makes loading challenging. I was lucky enough to find a 15-lb keg of Red Dot to hold me over until the powder manufacturers caught-up to the point they could supply hand-loaders instead of the just major ammo makers. I was also lucky enough to find some shot at $30 a bag recently......it's normally $38 - $50 a bag depending on your source. I also found a sleeve (5K) CCI 209 shotshell primers I got for $25/1000........at a time when components are in short supply, and high cost.

So, while I sympathize with the cost of loaded ammo (particularly high-brass), I can only suggest y'all ration your shells per hunt, switch to .22's with scopes, and/or buy factory loads from someone like Gamaliel Shooting Supply in KY. There's a Randy Brownlee on the coast that can probably order/sell you what you want @ dealer cost (case prices).

I hope this helps - Good luck.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Good stuff Anatidae, thanks for the input.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:38 pm

If you descide to get into reloading, i have a 20ga MEC loader you can have, i only load 12ga now in shotguns.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:55 am

Me and my dad reloaded for years, but we also shot around 200-300 rounds every Thursday night.. As it stands right now, if your buying the cheaper 12s or 20s then it is almost not worth the time to reload. 410s and 28s are still worth loading..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:22 am

I load our dove loads because i've never seen 1 1/2oz #9s loads for sale, makes my wife look like an expert wing shooter...lol
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:27 am

Plus, to me reloading isnt so much about saveing money, its about doing it myself and pride in my abilities, also taught my wife how to load for her rifle and pistol, she really love fireing rounds she loaded herself.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 am

I like whores
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:49 pm

bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 pm

predictive text. I was trying to say that I like reloads.
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:46 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”